Scored a free trail 70 today!

Bad news - someone painted it black so it's hard to see a model number, a mouse chewed through some of the battery wiring, it's missing the muffler and the key.
Good news - it was free, the gas tank was empty, the engine isn't seized, it was garage kept, it was free.

I found some info about identifying the C70 but not the trail 70. If they're the same then this is a 1970 based on the color, can someone confirm?

Thanks for the help.
CR

Sent from my iPhone using OldMiniBikes mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Very nice bike I can't believe you got it for free, I would say as it sits it's prolly worth $500 so you got a good deal ! !

Sent from my iPad using OldMiniBikes

I helped my neighbor buddy frame and drywall his basement over the last few months, he asked him M-I-L if I could have it as a thanks for the help since it's been in the sitting in the garage for 20 years. She was happy to give it to someone who planned to restore it. Pretty sweet deal. Going to start a build thread for it.

markus

Thanks! Beautiful bike. What does the KO stand for?

K0 refers to version of the bike. Your bike is the first version of the CT70 which ran from 1969-1971 (actually a few months into 1972 I think) It was the K0. The next versions are K1, K2, K3, etc.. it signifies the major changes in paint, decaling, trim, suspension, etc. so its good to try and remember when searching for parts to notice if its a part for the version you are working on as some parts wont work on your bike, or they may work but not be right trim style.

K0 refers to version of the bike. Your bike is the first version of the CT70 which ran from 1969-1971 (actually a few months into 1972 I think) It was the K0. The next versions are K1, K2, K3, etc.. it signifies the major changes in paint, decaling, trim, suspension, etc. so its good to try and remember when searching for parts to notice if its a part for the version you are working on as some parts wont work on your bike, or they may work but not be right trim style.
Got it. It's def the 4 speed manual engine. Since it has the gear shifter on the left hand side. Is there's a hand clutch for those?

markus

Got it. It's def the 4 speed manual engine. Since it has the gear shifter on the left hand side. Is there's a hand clutch for those?

yours is a 3 speed semi-auto transmission not the 4 speed manual. below is a CT70H I also had, noet the engine sidecover has the clutch lever going in and the chrome center cover, they also used different decaling. your rear brake has lever and foot operation....follow the cables :thumbsup:

Also the 4 speed manual bikes were stamped CT70H not CT70, they were made at the very same time as yours though.

yours is a 3 speed semi-auto transmission not the 4 speed manual. below is a CT70H I also had, noet the engine sidecover has the clutch lever going in and the chrome center cover, they also used different decaling. your rear brake has lever and foot operation....follow the cables :thumbsup:

Also the 4 speed manual bikes were stamped CT70H not CT70, they were made at the very same time as yours though.
My bike has a gear shifter on the left side, at least that's what I think it is. The foot brake lever you're referring to is on the right hand side.

Last edited:

1971_MB1A

The 3 speed semi-automatic and the 4 speed with a clutch both have the gear shifter in the same location. Yours has no clutch arm on the engine so it is the semi-automatic 3 speed.

The 3 speed semi-automatic and the 4 speed with a clutch both have the gear shifter in the same location. Yours has no clutch arm on the engine so it is the semi-automatic 3 speed.
Got it. Didn't realize they all had a gear shifter on them, wrongly assumed that automatic wouldn't have a shifter. Thanks.

1971_MB1A

Sure no problem...a few years ago I actually had 18 of the ct 70's that were rough project bikes etc that I got rid of all in 1 lot. I kept and still have the best one of them it's a 1970 ct70h 4 speed clutch model aqua/teal in color with very low miles and every piece of paper work since new including the title.

Nice! The good news is that parts, some NOS and lots of reproductions, are plentiful for the K0 like yours.

Be delicate with the paint. The K0-K3 was 2-step silver base coat/transparent candy color top coat and is extremely expensive to properly reproduce these days.

Your best sources for new and NOS parts are DRATV and CHPMOTORSPORTS. There are others for seats, cables and paint, but those two are the best with the most selection of general parts. Check out LILHONDA as well. That forum site is almost exclusively dedicated to 50cc and 70cc models. List your bike in their registry and you'll have a swarm of CT70 experts waiting to help.

I envy you. I have a '74 K3 I've had for 35 years. I started restoration last fall. That year had chrome everywhere, mirrors, and turn signals. It was a very unique model. Nobody makes a repop exhaust to fit the OEM K3 heat shield and NOS is $350 when/if you can find one. CT70 exhausts are notorious for rusting through at the front clamp location, which is probably why yours is missing. Unbent K3 chrome headlight ears with signal stalk holes are nonexistent and only used that year, thus, not enough demand to reproduce them. To top it all off, all those extra lights required a unique kill switch assembly, also unobtanium.

You are in very good shape! I can't wait to see your progress.

Sent from my VK810 4G using Tapatalk