Setting up a kill switch

I have an old Clinton engine that had the typical metal kill switch that sits on top of the motor, and which you push to touch the spark plug when you want to kill the engine. I have this engine on my minibike, and the engine sits below the gas tank, making this metal kill switch un-reachable for killing the engine while it is on the minibike. I had rigged a cable to pull the metal thingy onto the plug, and a spring to pull it back. But, that finally failed and i need a new solution. Can i simply connect a wire to the spark plug, and run that through a switch, where the other wire on the switch is connected to the same engine head bolt that the original metal thingy was mounted to? I have a convenient hole in the top of the front forks where a light switch originally was installed, that i can use for such a switch.

Thanks
T-roy

You'll get a jolt of spark energy if you connect the plug wire to the kill switch. Is your switch one wire or two? If one, its self grounding and you connect the other wire to the ignition points to ground them out and kill spark. If its two, connect the first wire the same and the second to a ground such as the frame or engine...

You'll get a jolt of spark energy if you connect the plug wire to the kill switch. Is your switch one wire or two? If one, its self grounding and you connect the other wire to the ignition points to ground them out and kill spark. If its two, connect the first wire the same and the second to a ground such as the frame or engine...
I have not purchased a switch yet. Which would you recommend? one wire or two? The switch will be mounted to the forks.

old shed finds

Take your time and get to those points do it safe and right.
All of us never want to have a runaway mini bike with no way to kill the engine.
That is crappy brake and throttle stuck full.

This latest bike build we are doing got the kill switch installed before anything
No way would we want this to happen on this smaller jackshaft bike with a HS40 Tecumseh....

Attachments

And reaching your choke is going to be easier than reaching for the kill wire lever thingy you installed on your plug shorting strip? No, it's not. It's a bad solution.

You do not have to "Pull your engine apart" to install a kill wire, but you do have to remove the recoil shroud. Depending on your model of engine, it will most likely be the three bolts at the top holding the head on, and two bolts near the bottom on each side at about the five and seven oclock positions. Pull the shroud and locate the wires where they come out of the housing for the points. Essentially the only wires you will see- excluding the plug wire.

You will need to get a wire terminal to fit the terminal on the back of the electrical connection to the points. It will probably be a red color coded terminal of 18-22 gauge found in most home wiring kits, or from any hardware store.

Note that the switch minibikin directed you do is a good choice, but that connection may not fit, it someone else has already removed the spade connector that came on your engine initially.

Once you establish which electrical connector you need, attach the wire and tighten everything back up MAKING SURE THAT NO WIRE IS TOUCHING THE ENGINE. (except for the terminal of course) The switch that Minibikin recommends just needs to be hooked to your handlebars to provide a ground once the button is pushed. Others require a second wire going to a ground. A ground is any piece of metal anywhere that isn't painted.

How it works is that when that wire going to your points touches any metal, it will "short" causing your points to not carry the electricity necessary to fire your coil.

I don't have a book in front of me to tell you what the torque is supposed to be on the head bolts, but in reality since you are not torquing all bolts on a new head gasket, I'd got for about 200 inch pounds and no more with a bit of oil on the threads before inserting.

Here is a video- first one I clicked on- that shows the wire etc.

old shed finds

And reaching your choke is going to be easier than reaching for the kill wire lever thingy you installed on your plug shorting strip? No, it's not. It's a bad solution.

You do not have to "Pull your engine apart" to install a kill wire, but you do have to remove the recoil shroud. Depending on your model of engine, it will most likely be the three bolts at the top holding the head on, and two bolts near the bottom on each side at about the five and seven oclock positions. Pull the shroud and locate the wires where they come out of the housing for the points. Essentially the only wires you will see- excluding the plug wire.

You will need to get a wire terminal to fit the terminal on the back of the electrical connection to the points. It will probably be a red color coded terminal of 18-22 gauge found in most home wiring kits, or from any hardware store.

Note that the switch minibikin directed you do is a good choice, but that connection may not fit, it someone else has already removed the spade connector that came on your engine initially.

Once you establish which electrical connector you need, attach the wire and tighten everything back up MAKING SURE THAT NO WIRE IS TOUCHING THE ENGINE. (except for the terminal of course) The switch that Minibikin recommends just needs to be hooked to your handlebars to provide a ground once the button is pushed. Others require a second wire going to a ground. A ground is any piece of metal anywhere that isn't painted.

How it works is that when that wire going to your points touches any metal, it will "short" causing your points to not carry the electricity necessary to fire your coil.

I don't have a book in front of me to tell you what the torque is supposed to be on the head bolts, but in reality since you are not torquing all bolts on a new head gasket, I'd got for about 200 inch pounds and no more with a bit of oil on the threads before inserting.

Here is a video- first one I clicked on- that shows the wire etc.
Dave perfect article and said perfect.
Yea lets talk him into a kill switch Lol
Your top sweet Mini Gote you built ended up with a buddy of mine in Olden Utah sweet bike we rode it around on his property. ... Nice Job!!