sfvisbf mini moto series race 3 the drag race...

I was talking with a guy tonight at a local fun track here in Rialto and he is pretty confident in saying that his GX200 on gas and some mods was topping out at around 60mph. He didn't mention gearing nor any real mods other than some head work and the normal bolt ons. I asked him about running methanol, he laughed and said hes already done it. Claims it was a night and day difference between the two, oh btw this is in mini bike not a kart. Well he was clocked at over 70mph, the guy who clocked him was standing there with him, hard to believe but can simply switching from gas to methanol boost your power enough to gain 10 MPH?
We saw a 5 mph gain at half track switching to alky. have not ran it the full 1/4 yet. JD

tomsprops

Just in case anyone was wondering ? Those MPH's were all captured by a
freshly synched RADAR GUN ! That was loaned to us by one of my Prop Houses ! Yes it is very accurate-These guy's were Haulin some A :censure:S

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I was talking with a guy tonight at a local fun track here in Rialto and he is pretty confident in saying that his GX200 on gas and some mods was topping out at around 60mph. He didn't mention gearing nor any real mods other than some head work and the normal bolt ons. I asked him about running methanol, he laughed and said hes already done it. Claims it was a night and day difference between the two, oh btw this is in mini bike not a kart. Well he was clocked at over 70mph, the guy who clocked him was standing there with him, hard to believe but can simply switching from gas to methanol boost your power enough to gain 10 MPH?
Nope!
With just a better fuel change you may gain more TQ and HP, but RPM is what controls speed. If you gained RPM it wouldn't be that much of a difference to produce 10 whole MPH. But with the new power gain the gearing will need to be changed to make it reach these new speeds.

To break it down a little it would have to look something like this:(RG-rear gear) (DG-drive gear)

Gasoline
60 RG X 15 DG @ 7,000 RPM=60mph, with 14hp and 12lbs TQ

Alky
60 RG X 16 DG @ 7,000 RPM=66mph, with 16hp and 15lbs TQ

Nitro/Alky mix
60 RG X 17 DG @ 7,000 RPM=71mph, with 17hp and 17lbs TQ

:scooter:

Rhovis would point out that alcohol does not have as much BTU content as gasoline. Running alcohol requires more fuel and air to generate the same amount of heat in the cylinder. For a typical flat motor, gasoline is a better choice. Alcohol does not have an advantage until high cylinder pressure causes detonation with gasoline as alcohol has a high "octane-rating" that gasoline.