Show me your jackshafts!

I know that Yellowhand has pretty well covered the subject, (and has it DOWN!) but I would like to see various jackshaft setups as I am considering using one on my mini. I am currently running a 12t clutch with a 72t sprocket and have plenty of speed, just not much low end pick up. I would rather have the low end, so from what I have read, it seems that a jackshaft would solve this. Am a little nervous about putting one on, not knowing whether or not it is going to solve my problem. If you've got picks, let's see 'em!

hitman

My boonie has a 72 tooth driven which is fed via a jack shaft. Look in "my photos" oddly, its all torque, and tops out quickly. I have a manco streaker w/ a 3 hp Briggs that smokes the boonie. Its has a much smaller driven sprocket, and has the govenor bypassed.

Yeah, I know by what I've read here that the TAV2 would be the way to go, but I guess I forgot to mention that everything I'm doing on this bike is super low budget. I'm too cheap to do things the 'best' way! Hitman, what's the tooth count on your shaft's driven and drive sprockets? Nice bike BTW.

One thought if there is enough room on the jack shaft to allow you to put on two sprockets of different tooth count than if you are looking for top speed you use one size sprocket and chain and if you are looking for more power just slide the optional sprocket into alignment and use a different chain length to make it work . It is a little work but what isn't . So I say the addition of a jack shaft is a good thing to do.
Steve

The rear tire is just under 12 inches. Now you've got me wondering if maybe the clutch is slipping? It just seems like a dog from the start and can't handle starting from a stop like say in grass or on a small incline. I don't weigh more than 170 soaking wet! I've got the Max Torque clutch in it.:eek:ut:

delray

matstang,same problem with my stepsons bike, 3hp,72sprocket,12inch tire. but when he gets on it and he only weigh's 70? the bike just fly's. if you are going to ride it (170#) then you will need to run a jackshaft to gear it down ,so it will pull you up small hills. this allows the clutch to lock up better and sooner,making it feel like the bike has more power:thumbsup:
best jackshaft to use? well if you have the four side bolt holes on your block? I would go with this unit. the only thing you would have to do is install new 35tt sprockets. i believe they came originally with 40/41 tt sprockets. with this setup you would not have to weld anything to the frame.:thumbsup:

Mini Bike minibike chopper jackshaft setup Go Kart New - eBay (item 370018440029 end time Mar-29-08 19:29:18 PDT)
if no bolts holes on the engine side cover? then you will have to go with a one of this cheap weld on's,they work:thumbsup:

or maybe this one would work too?

Go Kart Cart Yerf Dog Jackshaft Mini Bike minibike NEW - eBay (item 200207213660 end time Mar-18-08 18:19:58 PDT)

The one I used was a kit from Go-Kart Galaxy. I lucked out and the bracket for the shaft was still with the bike when I bought it from the junk yard. If I were to do it on a bike with out a bracket I would use the one shown above that has the shaft directly off the back of a plate. No welding or fabricating anything. Here is the link where I got mine: http://www.gokartgalaxy.com/jackshafts_&_jackshaft_kits.htm TAV 2 would be awesome, but I can not justify it. I have less than $50 in the boonie and the boys have ridden a new front tire off it last summer.

Last edited:
Here is a pic of the clutch. Not sure if I've got the bolt holes for the first bolt-on jackshaft you've shown Delray, but was wondering if the second bolt- on kit looks like a possibility? I've been thinking that the weld-on was my only option. Also, what would be the best tooth count on each sprocket to get the results I'm looking for? I think what I've been seeing as typical is 18tt driven and 13tt drive? That second bolt-on looks really appealling--less install time!!

delray

matstang,everybody has there own way of gearing the jackshaft. for the larger gear on the jackshaft i like make that about 3-5 teeth big then the smaller one and also like to keep the smaller sprocket the same size as the teeth on the clutch unit. this should work good for you. the only thing you will have to do is flip your clutch around when using the bolt on jackshaft:thumbsup:
:scooter:.............................:thumbsup:

Delray, thanks for the help. Glad to know there are folks who know lots more than I do! I will update with pics when things happen! Thanks again.

kbs8ball

I have a 4 hp tecumseh on my sears bike with 12/72 gearing... no jackshaft...I weigh about 165...it throws ya back pretty good off the line, even in grass.

What type of clutch are you running? I wonder if there's much of a difference in torque between the 3hp and 4hp? Now you've got me wondering again...