Show me your jackshafts!

The 3 horse briggs I have is off an older tiller. It runs pretty strong I would say, I just need the low end torque. I'm guessing it does about 30-35 mph tops. I just would rather have the low end torque for crawling up small hills...I'm still really considering a jackshaft.:confused:

delray

same here kbs8ball, i have a 4hp motor on my scat-cat with a clutch only and it runs good. i don't know if the 4hp just has a much better torque ban or what. it just likes to pull better then my 3hp and 2.5hp.
:scooter:................

same here kbs8ball, i have a 4hp motor on my scat-cat with a clutch only and it runs good. i don't know if the 4hp just has a much better torque ban or what. it just likes to pull better then my 3hp and 2.5hp.
:scooter:................
Hey now that's good to know. Makes me feel better about the condition of my 3 horse. Ok, gonna order the kit tomorrow...

delray

jackshaft will make a differents,so i don't think you will be wasting you money or time. with that small engine and you weighing at 170# it's going to be hard on that clutch. even if it can pull you. another good example that i had problems with was a baja doodle bug. bike came with a 2.5 honda clone motor with a clutch and a rear sprocket with 65tt and a tire height of about 13+. bike was a real dog at low end take-off. installed a 80tt sprocket and know it takes right-off. also clock it with a rador gun at 24mph with the governor on:thumbsup:
:scooter:............

Good deal. It will be worth it I think. The setup that I have now is using a chain tensioner and it works quite well. I put some time into getting it all to work properly, so I hate to see it go but I think it will be well worth it to install a JS. I will post pics and results of the work once it arrives. Is MFGSupply ok to order from?

delray

mfgsupply is a good place to get parts from. if you just need to get sprockets/bearings you also can check motion industries local. i see you have one just north of you and also south.
https://www.motionindustries.com/motion3/jsp/mi/motion.jsp
you might save little money and time getting it from them local. if you work for a business they may have a account with them(save little more$)
if they don't have it in stock ,i will just wait until there next truck delivers or they will ups it in for you and you will have to pay for it.
:scooter:...........:thumbsup:

I got antsy and ordered it before I read your post. I did end up just ordering the weld-on kit as it had everything (sprockets, keys, collars, etc.). It will ruin my paint, but I think I can make it look ok. Don't be surprised if I end up with more q's when the part arrives!!

I've found the 3 HP Briggs to be totally gutless off the line where a 3.5 HP Tecumseh has way more Tourque. If you have the room, stick a bigger engine in it. If no room a 3.5-5HP tecumseh should fit with no problem.

That will definitely be in the works, especially if the new jackshaft doesn't provide results. It sounds like it won't hurt it at this point. My problem is I don't have engines just sitting around at my disposal! Wish I did...

The jackshaft install is complete, and happy to say that it works better. I won't say that it gave me excellent results, but it definitely moves off the line better. I think that if it gets to me I can now more easily change out sprockets to fine tune it to where I ride. The install took more time than I anticipated and was certainly a ton of measuring/eyeballing and re-measuring. I kept the jackshaft small so that the sprockets/chains could stay within the framework. (Less likelyhood that my son will hurt himself...).
Thanks to all who gave advise and helped! This forum rocks!

delray

I am glad it work for you:thumbsup: thats a good size engine for your son to learn on and now it will be little easyer for him to go up small inclines too.
:scooter:...........................