Side cover Studs

I hope this helps someone, I was at Oreilly Auto parts getting some wiring, and ran across these exhaust manifold studs. They are M8-1.25x56mm studs. I knew the side cover bolts were M8, but was not sure if the 56mm would be too long, so I purchased them to try. I paid $7.99 for 10 studs/nuts. The fit is spot on, and I do not see any reason why these would not work with any clutch, the stud sticks out 10.6mm from the side cover. I installed these on a Honda GX160 block.

Stud.jpg Stud 1.jpg Stud 2.jpg Stud 3.jpg Stud 5.jpg Stud 4.jpg

There are two studs that come close to the chain and I just cut those two down to make them shorter. Otherwise they work great.

Twid

What did you torque the stud in the case to? Since there manifold stud kit I bet those nuts go on the stud tight, wouldn't want to strip the case! Can you post a picture of the studs you cut?

Last edited:
I put the studs in by hand, getting them as tight as I could with Loctite and let it set overnight, and torqued them to 18 ft. lbs the next day. I will get pics tonight. The part I cut off is the nipple part that has no threads, and than I threaded that same end into the block. Pictures will help explain. But you are correct, an aluminum block is much softer than the studs.

Last edited:
Here is what I have done.
New Stud.jpg New Stud.
New Stud 2.jpg Cut nipple off of stud and applied red Loctite.
New Stud 3.jpg Installed stud end that was cut into block.
New Stud 4.jpg Finished product.
New Stud 5.jpg Stick out past side cover 1/4 inch.

I let the Loctite cure for 24 hours, but am also waiting on rod bearings/crank to finish this motor, so I had time to let it fully cure. With the nipple left on the stud, it is too long. I don't have intentions of taking this sidecover off very often, but since the price of studs is the same as the bolts, I opted for studs.

Last edited:
I got stainless threaded rod and cut studs to length... $10 for a 4' length. And stainless nuts for $.025 a piece
At a factory supply store...
The auto stores wanted $4.75 a stud... Plus $1.35 a nut... And would only sell a 25 piece box of each...

I got stainless threaded rod and cut studs to length... $10 for a 4' length. And stainless nuts for $.025 a piece
At a factory supply store...
The auto stores wanted $4.75 a stud... Plus $1.35 a nut... And would only sell a 25 piece box of each...
I did the same thing for the head studs, I have bought a 4' rod of threaded stainless rod. I will cut my head studs to the correct size, and go buy the nuts separately.

Twid

I put the studs in by hand, getting them as tight as I could with Loctite and let it set overnight, and torqued them to 18 ft. lbs the next day. I will get pics tonight. The part I cut off is the nipple part that has no threads, and than I threaded that same end into the block. Pictures will help explain. But you are correct, an aluminum block is much softer than the studs.
You torqued the studs or the nuts?

This local company I deal with and it has several kinds of metric threaded rod in your choice of grade pre cut and ready to use.
Its where I get most of my fasteners, keys and even some tools ( the less common stuff you need that a big chain won't carry ).
Most cities and towns have a local champion like this ( usually sells industrial or farming ect ect supplies of some kind ).
Check the phone book and call around, always someone has something and odds are they will cut to fit for you.

Nut & Bolt Corp « Rastall