Silver or Gold....?

Jamie1972

Did the 64-69 Rupp Minibike seats come "orig." with gold or silver pipeing on the seats...!?
Karen and I and "Someone else" had a calm but slightly un convincing conversation on this topic.
Karen and I have never seen a silver one....Only gold..
This other person insisted they where silver..

Anyone got proof they were silver?????

capguncowboy

My all original 69 scrambler had gold piping. Another seat i picked up a while back also had gold piping.

I've never seen silver piping on any Rupp seats

Well, I have never seen silver either, but, I was told the piping changed its color with ageing. I even cut a old Rupp seat apart and it looked gold to me.:eek:ut:

The correct name escapes me at the moment...but it is actually chromatic or something like that. Clear with silverish traces and thread through center..with age they turn goldish colored.

Here are three different seat from a few of my older Rupps. 2 are NOS I bought a few years ago. One you can still see it is clear with silver in it...the second...already turning. And one is original and has really turned more of a gold in appearance. That original piping is tough to find and is far from cheap. Ask any seasoned seat builder. PS..cell phone pics so they aren't the best.

Only one of those seats look original to me. The other 2 seats have stiched pleats.:eek:ut:
Hmmmm...LOL....I noticed that after I posted. I can grab the other pics tomorrow. I have quit a few nice Rupp seats sitting around. But you get the point about it being clear originally and the the piping changes to a yellowish over time which cause the inside silver to make the whole piping appear goldish. Like I said..contact a couple seasoned seat makers. Or just call it gold and call it a day.:eek:ut:

Jamie1972

I agree with Karen, those two seats look stitched not pleaded, I brought an original seat and it was pleaded with gold piping. The mystery goes on!

Jamie1972

But I do agree with cheesy1....it probably did come with silver braid piping, with clear plastic cover piping that turns gold or yellow-ish overtime.

The correct name escapes me at the moment...but it is actually chromatic or something like that. Clear with silverish traces and thread through center..with age they turn goldish colored.
I've seen it referred to as "tinsel" Bill. I'm not sure if that's the word you were looking for but that's what I've seen in my upholstery work.

As for expensive, upholstery work in general is expensive, very time consuming, not always the easiest to find good matches for vintage materials. Sometimes you just have to get as close as you can with this stuff even know some of us like to have it dead on.

Jamie1972

I think my conclusion is.......The actual braid in the plastic tubing is silver, with clear tubing....
Over time the tubing yellows (from age)
Which gives it the "gold" look....Confusing people...Including me. Till now.
I think karen and I and the other fellow where actually on the same page the whole time.:smile: