Single garter spring on TAV??

I've been playing with my tav that I bought on e-bay and installed on an Azusa mini bike with clone motor. I'm having trouble getting the tav to engage at a low enough rpm to prevent it from lurching forward abruptly. I also have an older original comet tav on an invader go cart that works flawlessly. Soooo, I took off the drive units on both tav's to compare. The newer e-bay model has stiffer garter springs which makes sense why it takes more rpm to engage. So I thought I'd try removing one of the springs to see what would happen. I was a little concerned that the weights would bind up, but turns out its working perfectly now. Engagement rpm is considerably lower and much smoother take off now. Is this a bad idea? Are there any long term side affects to doing this? Has anyone else tried this?

Removing one of the garter springs is the ticket when using a Comet clutch on a diesel engine. The diesel torque comes in at a lower rpm, and so far it works good. I'm in the process of building up a diesel Tule Trooper, (if I ever get any time off from work), and that's exactly what its gonna get. :thumbsup: