Snagged this off the side of the road, seems sketchy though? What is it?

Supposedly this is an older Harbor Freight engine that was installed, it runs strong and is fast, faster than I was comfortable with with the sketchy seat setup. There is no badge of any sort on the frame, I assume it may also be a knock off of an older bike.

This suspension setup is what makes it sketchy, the seat wobbles everywhere when you ride and it feels like you have a flat tire.

The scrub brake does not work at all, I almost died :scared::doah::facepalm:

rmm727

If you decide to keep that engine on there, there is no air filter on the snowblower engines. I could use a clone snowblower air box and could trade or buy that one from you.

rmm727

Not sure but the air box draws the air from the exhaust side I believe so the carb doesn't freeze.

I have a snowblower that I need to rob the HS50 off of for a mini but hate to make it unusable so its getting a clone.

Not sure but the air box draws the air from the exhaust side I believe so the carb doesn't freeze.

I have a snowblower that I need to rob the HS50 off of for a mini but hate to make it unusable so its getting a clone.
If you don't clone it..let me know. I took a HS50 off mine before I scrapped it. And sorry for the interruption in the thread.

pomfish

Supposedly this is an older Harbor Freight engine that was installed, it runs strong and is fast, faster than I was comfortable with with the sketchy seat setup. There is no badge of any sort on the frame, I assume it may also be a knock off of an older bike.

The scrub brake does not work at all, I almost died :scared::doah::facepalm:
Pump up the rear tire a lot, this will bring the diameter of the tire closer to the scrub brake.
Still will suck mind you, but will be more effective.
You could try taking off the rear tire and drill holes in the scrub brake and mount a layer of rubber onto the metal, you will need to mount it with bolts with round heads on the wheel side.
It WILL grab like a bitch initially, but will wear in and become usable.

Also, real important with a Manco Thunderbird, you need to beef up the motor mount, brace it, weld supports etc.
The bigger engine Will bend/flex the plate and the chain will come off.
These bikes have extremely weak/soft metal.

As far as the seat wobbling all over, again poor engineering, tighten the front bolt and check to see that the seat screws are in the wood well and are not stripped. I added a few more holes and screws and it firmed up the feel.

And last but not least, WELCOME TO OldMiniBikes!!!!

HTH
Keith

WOW, thank you for the fast responses. It's kind of funny because I have a Manco go kart I got around 1996 brand new. This seat setup on this is so ridiculously sketchy I can't believe anyone bought them, even when the bushings were good.

I love this engine for a cheapy, I roll on the throttle and it constantly pulls the front wheel up, I feel like I am going to crash constantly.

If you decide to keep that engine on there, there is no air filter on the snowblower engines. I could use a clone snowblower air box and could trade or buy that one from you.
This may be possible, I pass through your area a lot for work.

pomfish

The front end comes up easy because you are sitting directly over the center point of the rear wheel and the large sprocket increases the torque applied to the rear wheel.

Lean forward when taking off for the first 15 feet then you are safe (some what:)