Snap ring removal made less difficult

For you seasoned bikers this maybe apprentice stuff but for others could be useful.

I was trying to get at a snap ring to adjust a belt drive. Since the ring was recessed I could not get a bite on it even after using various pliers and screwdrivers. I thought about punching the ring off but because it was recessed it seemed pointless. So after maybe a half hour of twisting, prying and accidentally taking screwdriver shots to the fingers decided to come up with my own snap ring spreader.

All you need is three flat head screwdrivers. Stack two of them together so they look like two pie wedges and slide the third screwdriver in the middle so it gets sandwiched. Once you get that third screwdriver in the middle just turn it like a key and it’ll spread the ring open.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
thats a good solution, if ya dont have the right tool. (or if your friends never return YOUR tools!):thumbsup::thumbsup:
I have cussed at, hammered on, and been stabbed by so many snap rings.:censure: I never can find my SR pliers. Makes me wonder where they are now....hmmmmmm

:thefinger:to whoever has 'em now!:thefinger: lol

you think snap rings are a pain. I have two older tc's with the old style clip its kinda like a key ring but flat. I just replaced one with a c-clip because it was stretched out and fell off. C-clip is cake in comparison

Hahaha, I'm all for making it work when your in the middle of something,,, but since you have regular clutches too,,,, go to a store and buy the tool. :thumbsup: For a cheap one, Harbor freight sells them on sale for $2-3 with three heads. : Well worth it because it's an easy gig and easy to take apart standard clutches for cleaning too. :thumbsup: That and a chain tool is a must for mini owners. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

george3

to much of a headache. when I was a kid I made a pair out of needlenose pliers. had no money to waste. so just ground the tips down and had to pull them apart to take off the snapring, hay it worked. didnt need 4 pairs or needlenose pliers anyway.

minidragbike

Supporting Speed Nut!
I just have snap ring pliers, just like GTO has. They are cheap and I deal with a lot of snap rings because of clutches.

If you really think that's hard, you must have never delt with spiral wrist pin locks. Try to remove one in a hour, if you don't have the correct tool.:doah:

Snap ring pliers, I knew this was coming and harbor freight has em for less than a six pack. Right on good info you guys. Thanks. Okay so before I go and try to adjust the spring in the driven wheel on the belt drive to it's highest setting what mcgyver tool you got for that. You know when you have to twist the cam?