so I got bored today....

toomanytoys

I woke up this morning with nothing to do.

Ive had a project brewing in my head my head for awhile of removing the bathroom in the master bedroom and making it a walk in closet. The main bathroom is right across the hall, the bathroom was tiny and all the plumbing was leaking in there. So I started out taking out the toilet, then sink, and the shower stall. Removed the divider wall and looked at the other wall and thought if I move thst back and angle the door I can gain a bigger closet but the appereance of a bigger room. So I tore that out...then I realized the dry wall was a little rough in the bedroom and I hated the other window thst looked into the garage so I took that out.

Then I realized I didnt like the hollow panel door..so I took it out...then I realized the laundry room was pretty sorry so I took down all the cabinets, lights, trim, and closet door.

Then I went to lowes and spent 1500 dollars on new doors, trim, lights, drywall, screws, framing material, closet organizers and door handle sets.

My 200 dollar project has exploded into 2 complete room redos.

Why do I do this to myself

Last edited:

catfishman

been there also, i am in the process of fixing all the things that have needed fixing for a long time, that way my house will be ready to sell, and its quite a bit of fixing alot of small things but they add up

toomanytoys

After this is done I am gutting the kitchen, then the main bathroom....

94 year old man who didnt anything other than repair has left the house severly outdated

just keep in mind its alot easier and cheaper to rip it out that to put it back together :smile: but sounds like it needed the work .

toomanytoys

just keep in mind its alot easier and cheaper to rip it out that to put it back together :smile: but sounds like it needed the work .
It totally needed the work.

The old guy kept the house solid and replaced things that were bad. But he never put new things in.

I have redone the upstairs bedrooms, and the living room. The joy of owning a fixer upper. But the rewards are great.

Welcome to the club. I'm building a new house out of my old one, one room at a time. Now I'm thinking it would have been easier and maybe cheaper if I had bulldozed it and bought a modular.

toomanytoys

Welcome to the club. I'm building a new house out of my old one, one room at a time. Now I'm thinking it would have been easier and maybe cheaper if I had bulldozed it and bought a modular.
I did the same thing once before with my first house.

I slowly redid each room as I had money and time. Took me 5 years. I finished the last bathroom, my ex wife asked for a divorce and then I sold the house. Talk about 5 years of work for nothing, well I did make a lot of money selling the house vs what I paid for it. So I guess it worked out. But man! I finally was going to be able to enjoy a completely remodeled house....

It may of been cheaper at first to buy a modular, but around here modulars don't hold their values. My experience from other people owning them they just don't hold up as well over the years.

toomanytoys

the "might-as-wells"
Thats exactly it.

Might as well tear this out. Might as well fix this..

In the long run its worth it. Tonight I am framing in the closet, fixing the other closets door(he made everything odd sizes, opening is 51" you can only buy 24, 30 and 36 bi-fold doors), tomorrow I'll hang the dry wall, then the next day I will start finishing it. 3 nights of finishing, and hope to have it painted and done by Saturday.

The laundry room demo really hasn't started yet, other than removing doors.

Kind of have to leave it functional till the last minute, as I have no other way to wash clothes.

Imagine a bath room stuff in that tiny hole. Stand up shower, sink and toilet. When you sat on the toilet your feet were under the sink. It was terrible. I have no idea why he would do this. The bathroom is directly across the hall and within easy access to the bedroom.

Disregard the curtains, they were left there and I never changed them since I had bought all new stuff to go with the new color of the bedroom. That window is going to be removed, since it only looks into the garage.

toomanytoys

If you put me in a house with square corners I couldn't build anything.

Cutting dry wall, ok left side is 85 and 5/8s and the right side is 84 and 3/4 Cut it off!

I'm so used to that over the years its second nature now to compensate for it. My old house was build in 1898, the "new" house is 1923, my Dad's house was 1912. So basically I've never worked in a square house.

banjo

Give er the gip. You will be glad your getting it done so soon after buying the house. Better than waiting for years and then saying damn this is good I should have done this years ago. How's the wiring ?

toomanytoys

Give er the gip. You will be glad your getting it done so soon after buying the house. Better than waiting for years and then saying damn this is good I should have done this years ago. How's the wiring ?
wiring isn't too bad. Nice 200 AMP box downstairs, newer Romex going to all the receptacles. Going to replace all the outlets and covers and switches awhile I'm messing around.

I was amazed at the weird plumbing going to the bathroom. No wonder it was leaking. First reason, it was weird as heck he would put in loops. It was the weirdest thing I ever seen. Second it was like he used scrap pipe. 4 feet of water line, coupler, 2 feet of water line, couple, 8 inches of water line, coupler.

haha wow . i would love a window in my bedroom that goes to the garage. I can stare at my porsche and minibikes all the time :laugh: or better yet just put in a door jump out of bed at any time and go directly to work in the garage :laugh: i think i would bust out all those closets and just make a small one in the corner to keep it legal. leave as much square feet in the room as you can. i have two closets in my room and i wanted to bust out the celing and make a loft over my bathroom. then put a ladder in the one closet. thatd be cool as hell. but alot of work and the house is already too nice to go busting it up