So many hairdyers, so little time.

65ShelbyClone

This greasy lump came in the mail a few days ago:

After some elbow grease to get rid of the actual grease, it looks right presentable:

I got a GT15 back in '06 for a 10hp Briggs project and have wanted one of these tiny IHIs since then. I thought the Garrett was a pretty darn small turbo, but this one has it beat....by a lot.

This thread has no other purpose than to share. I'm still in disbelief at how small it is.

What kind of flow does something like that need?

I wonder if a 212 predator would spin that with success instead of a novelty?
:thumbsup:

Cool beans

65ShelbyClone

Official information from IHI says that it will support from about 27-135hp. The problem is that IHI only provides a generalized map for the compressor and nothing for the turbine.

A sub-300cc engine might be laggy, but I expect that a bigblock-based engine would not have trouble spinning it. This little turbo was stock equipment on 550-660cc engines.

Ah I suppose unless your spinning to the moon a small block would have problems....

One of those vegas carts 440's and this with fuel injection could have some serious potential :) if only there wasn't a mortgage to pay :laugh:

65ShelbyClone

nice... i was thinking about trying one on a briggs vtwin. hope you get it figured out
Do it. :thumbsup:

It isn't really that complicated to turbocharge an engine, it's just a lot of work and fabrication. It is greatly simplified when using one that already has pressurized oiling and a 12v charging system like most of the v-twins.

Ah I suppose unless your spinning to the moon a small block would have problems....
I don't think a 10-12hp and 7,000rpm engine would have"trouble" lighting-off the turbo; it might just have a fairly high boost threshold. MargayKart79 put one on a wheezy 5hp Briggs flathead, got it to spool up on a brake dyno, and made 10.5hp at 5psi: http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/project-logs/1100-efi-turbo-briggs-5hp.html

Which is surprising to me because that is well below the turbo's design output. One tough hurdle with these small engines is making enough power to run the turbo without needing more boost to do it than the compressor can happily make.

With that in mind, I am toying with the idea of using both the IHI and Garrett in a compound setup to get enough boost to make respectable power without working either turbo too hard. Running the larger Garrett at a 2:1 pressure ratio(~15psi output) and then running that through the IHI at another 2:1 PR would effectively multiply the 15psi by two....so ~30psi of boost.

Might need to feed it some VP 100 at that point...

Do it. :thumbsup:

It isn't really that complicated to turbocharge an engine, it's just a lot of work and fabrication. It is greatly simplified when using one that already has pressurized oiling and a 12v charging system like most of the v-twins.
building up a parts pile :smile:

I did some reading on the compressor maps they have posted online for that turbo
I don't see why any 212cc wouldn't work but I still have a soft spot for those Hansen superchargers from back in the day there was a few things like fuel injection and a blow off or diverter valve would have made that set up way more usable instead of the huge expansion part ontop to the intake that held pressure until all the fuel was spent between the carb-supercharger-piping-intake so there was a good second delay from foot off throttle until it even tried to slow down :hammer: made for a sketchy ride :laugh:

That little unit cleaned up real nice Shelby :thumbsup: Where can I learn more, I know almost nothing about turbo.

I need something like that for my 8hp snowblower...looking at 8 more inches to fall tonite and tomorrow, would love to throw it all back at the plow driver :laugh:.

65ShelbyClone

Four months gone already? 2015 is flying by.

This showed up recently. At what point should I expect an intervention?

Not exactly a hairdryer nor exhaust-driven like a turbo, but ought to be easier to use with no exhaust or oil plumbing.

Last edited:

65ShelbyClone

Looks like one to me too. :wink:

I'm thinking about getting a 300cc version to round-out the collection, but they are a LOT more expensive and not really any better or more useful, plus they are a royal #$%&@! to disassemble and rebuild.

125ccCrazy

are you planning on using this or a 300 on a single cyl build or just for shelf art? If you use one will the carb be mounted before the blower or blow through the carb?

Wax

its a 300 supercharger like the other superchargers that were put up in here
Technically speaking a turbo is a supercharger as well this one just happens to be mechanically driven