Spark Arrestor

Anyone know if the RLV or B&S hotdog mufflers have a spark arrestor? I just found out that I need one on my mini bike to use the public trails around here. :doah:

A couple years ago one of the railway routes was bought out by the provincial government and it's been converted into a public trail system for hikers, bikers, and offroad.

Anyone know if the RLV or B&S hotdog mufflers have a spark arrestor? I just found out that I need one on my mini bike to use the public trails around here. :doah:
I live in Nova Scotia and there is no restrictions on the type of arrestor as long as it is a screen. I maybe wrong but I haven't found any mention of any other restrictions. Then again our government publications aren't the easiest most straight forward things to read. :shrug:

You can try to find a 3" Super Trapp to weld onto the end of the muffler.

Super Trapp.jpg

For some reason they have them listed on Ebay as "Vintage" . You can still buy them from Super Trapp.

Last edited:

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
That is more of a exhaust deflector than an arrestor OND.

Muffler should have a Stainless steel screen inside.

Now days they use Titanium screen because it lasts longer than stainless.

Chain saw mufflers have spark arrestors and most are removable and replaceable.

Taylor mufflers have a removable end so you can clean or replace the screen, it would be stainless.

Last edited:
What brand and size (HP) engine? What size (ID) pipe do you need? Maybe one of the "Taylor" brand spark arrestors/mufflers could work for you.
Michael

bikebudy

Banned - Must pay $500
Only problem with a Taylor muffler is the cost. Same with these Titanium screen's

I'd take my muffler apart, put a stainless screen 0.023 in it then put it back together.

With any luck, ya might be able to do it so its easy to take apart again, for a new screen or cleaning.?

Ex;

An No, I have never done this. So its pure Idea. ( correct Screen size 0.023 )

Did some research;

Forest Service Standard 5100-lb fall into a special category. They are intended for use on small engine applications. All exhaust products must pass through the screen, which has openings of 0.023-inch or less. the effective exhaust area of the screen (total area of all screen openings) shall not be less than 200 percent of the engine exhaust port area at its smallest cross-section. Screen material shall be heat and corrosion resistant, and shall provide at least 100 hours of service life. These are originally qualified for all the positions described in the "Application Positions" section.

Last edited:
I have a new non-hemi 212cc predator. Currently it's rated at 7hp. I was planning on getting the header from either OldMiniBikes or Hotrod Mini bikes (links in op). Kits come with a screw on fitting that accepts a screw on Briggs and Stratton hotdog muffler or straight pipe for the RLV muffler.

I have a new non-hemi 212cc predator. Currently it's rated at 7hp. I was planning on getting the header from either OldMiniBikes or Hotrod Mini bikes (links in op). Kits come with a screw on fitting that accepts a screw on Briggs and Stratton hotdog muffler or straight pipe for the RLV muffler.
Just an FYI,
We have tried both combinations and here is a significant sound level difference between those 2 set ups. The RLV will be noticeably louder.
Michael

Look into generator muffler some have a spark arrester muffler on them . Or bikebuddys got a good idea there if that will pass inspection dont know but . Also old Yamaha pipes on 2 cycle bikes had a arrester in the tip could adapt one of them over .

I'm hoping that I can get a slip on arrestor for the RLV. Anyone know the outer diameter of the muffler. I tried looking it up online, but all I could find was the inlet diameter.

I always sold the J & R Kirzman that came in 1/2 inch and 3/4 inch pipe threads and hey always hade the forest approval stamped in the chrome body. I used some Gill arresters for the bigger two stroke engines. When your out and get stopped by a ranger or police it often falls into why did they stop you in the first place.
Steve

I bought a Chinese "Pit Bike" muffler that has a spark arrester screen in it. I have no idea how loud it is, since I still haven't finished the bike I bought it for. You can pic them up on Ebay for around $20.00 bucks.

Pit Bike Muffler.jpg