Sparkplug type in HS40

Hey guys, I have another question. I have a 1971 Rupp Roadster II. When I bought it a couple weeks ago it had the Champion something like J19LM sparkplug in it. I posted on here and now I know the J19LM is for solid state ignition and the CJ-8 is for the points ignition.

My question is how do I know if I have points or solid state ignition?

Becuase I don't know for sure which sparkplug will work?

Will they both work if I have either ignition?

And why would the J19LM be in there if it was the points ignition, is it easy to put the wrong plug in there?

Please let me know

Thanks, Dan

jeep4me

Most likely you have points and condensor. Unless someone put a new magneto on the engine. Either of those plugs will work, I always use a J19LM. No need to get the RJ19LM unless you going to be listening to a radio while riding the bike. R is for a resistor and static eliminator.

Remove the magneto and check to see if it has an extra sensor between the two main ones, closer to one side than the other, it will be oval or round in shape and solid metal not segmented. If it does have this then you have an electronic ignition. No need to remove the points and condensor as this will bypass them, but I always do remove them.

Most newer books will recommend the J19LM as the plug, and the CJ8 as an old listing.

I don't put CJ8's on anything larger than a 3.5hp and that's usually on two-cycle snowblower engines.