spedometer

There are ways, but there terribly inaccurate,

Go with what strigoi said and GPS all the way:thumbsup:

(plus youll never got lost....)

yeah but if i get a mini it would be cool to have the vintage spedometer with the mile counter on it. just wondering if it was practical

yeah but if i get a mini it would be cool to have the vintage spedometer with the mile counter on it. just wondering if it was practical
It's practable. The good units will cost you around $300. I've seen complete NOS Rupp kits come along now and then but there again you got to pony up when you see them come up.$$$$:doah:

Theirs a cog that adapts to the front wheel. The real units where I think VDO and they are fully calibratable. My buddy just bought a complete kit for a Schwinn stingray he's restoring and paid $300 for it. I've seen nos rupp units from 300-500.

Yeah those rupp ones are $$$ Last year I spent the $350 for a NOS rupp unit in the package but also got free shipping. It was either that or spend the same amount for a good regular headlight bucket and I already had 2 of those speedo/headlight combo buckets. This one is getting painted to match the color scheme of the bike so no chrome here :thumbsup:

The Garmin Edge is a great GPD for mini bikes. It is made for bicycles so it comes with a couple different mounting brackets. It is also smaller than a cell phone.

The garmin will also tell you, max speed, running speed, distance traveled this trip, total distance traveled, and a bunch of other neat stuff

I love mine, especially in Michigan's Upper Peninsula back Woods

you can also get a motorcycle mount for the GPS. there's a good chance it would just bolt on. i'm thinking about picking one up as well as a second cheap GPS just for mini bike use. that way i could easily swap it between bikes.

i've found i can securely attach my Garmin to my bars with 4 zip ties. i can't read it while riding but it works great for top speed runs.

Last edited:
The garmin will also tell you, max speed, running speed, distance traveled this trip, total distance traveled, and a bunch of other neat stuff

I love mine, especially in Michigan's Upper Peninsula back Woods
I have an app on my IPhone that has all that info, its called MotionX GPS. I almost bought a garmin, then I remembered "Wait, my phone has GPS...."

I can't think of one vintage mini that had one. :doah:
The early Fox Campus bikes (the ones with the polypropylene cowlings) had a raised area that was designed to be cut out and used for the installation of a speedometer which Fox did offer as an option....Ogy

The one I have is somewhere around 500 bucks
But i use it for ATV's, Hunting, Fishing, Navigating the back woods

They range from 100-1,000 dollars, it depends on what you want, the two that are below are 100 and 124 dollars, The ETREX models are really nice and can take a beating, waterproof and all, The edge is really nice, what I have but its really expensive,
These are nice....
Cabela's -- Garmin® etrex H GPS Unit

Cabela's -- Garmin® etrex Venture HC Handheld GPS Unit

** I Dont know if the first one has the max speed setting or the trip odometer but it has a speedometer

Last edited: