Speedway Red Baron clutch sticking

Got this old Speedway Red Baron, not seen one before. Clutch does not disengage when its running. After checking the idle speed, what's next? I've not seen a centrifugal clutch like this. I'm guessing it requires special puller, then maybe I can see how it is supposed to work. KIMG1622.JPG KIMG1594.JPG

Take out the crankshaft bolt, remove sliding side of pulley and check for binding parts or maybe a missing return spring. That style driver looks like it needs a spring to separate the pulley sides for full release at idle speed.

As said above, the bolt on the pulley is what holds it on the crankshaft.

But....... Rust may make it hard to get off. That said, there is no rubber or plastic parts on the clutch so several WD-40 and heat applications will help. The centrifugal weights are what pushes the pulley face together to act as a clutch. Rust in the movement of these and the moving pulley face will cause issues.

After getting it freed up, clean all the parts with brake cleaner. Any penetrating oil on the pulleys is bad.....

Next, many of the Speedway clutches are held together with a snap ring. If you look on Ebay and search for Speedway mini-bike there is usually one listed.

Oh yeah, it's considered a Torque converter clutch......

Welcome to the Speedway 14" club. They are very desirable bikes. I have a Green Horn.

The early weights with the chrome weight housing had issues and they corrected in June of 72 and the corrected one were painted black instead of chrome but here’s some tips from the factory also but I would take it of and disassemble, clean and oil.

Last edited:

GustoGuy

Wow. those Speedway bikeswere built in Mansfield, Ohio too just like the Rupp bikes. 1972 was definitely the year of the minibike.