Speedway Shriek

Got a Speedway Shike but the engine mount is not correct. Someone cut out the inclined 3 hp tecumseh mount and put in an old Briggs that no longer has a top end. I have an old Fox Street Scamp that has an inclined mount for a 4 hp Tec, so I'm thinking of cutting it out of the Fox frame and getting it welded into the Shrike. Any thoughts on such a process? It's otherwise a pretty complete roller - wrong seat and no tank, but that's no biggie. Thanks, Mike

Last edited:
I added picture above. Got some nice parts on it, but that wrong engine mount - I'm figuring they flipped rear wheel to run the centrifugal clutch straight to rear while. Has an real long chain cover, either custom made by a really good welder or off some bigger bike.

fistfullabar

I WOULD NOT CHOP DA FOX! Are you trying to restore or make your own? Most of my bikes are "angled plates" that was used to put 7" driven belt drive. Needed the height. But it limits the type of engines you can put on it. That bike came stock with a HS40 tecumseh.

1st welcome to the forum :thumbsup: Not to split hairs but it Shrike not Shriek :doah: I had a 71 Shrike and have a 72 Sabre that both had the same problem :doah: Unless you are planning a full restoration I wouldn't worry about it and you might just want to use a flat motor plate, that's what I did with my Sabre and I added an adjustable jack shaft like Trail Horse used :thumbsup: If you want a Speedway tank I have a 72 tank that will work on a 71 :thumbsup:
Here are a few pic's of what I did

Thanks so much - I got my spelling all screwed up! Now I'm stuck with a user name that marks me as an idiot! Oh well, I'll see what I can do about that. Thanks! The Flat plate actually looks nice but it would be so much fun having a stock bike. I think it's just a matter of using a diaphragm instead of a bowl on the Tec engine, right?

I WOULD NOT CHOP DA FOX! Are you trying to restore or make your own? Most of my bikes are "angled plates" that was used to put 7" driven belt drive. Needed the height. But it limits the type of engines you can put on it. That bike came stock with a HS40 tecumseh.

The 1970 Mini Bike Guide review shows it spec'ed with a 3 hp Tecumseh but I think the mount is the same. Did it change for for 71 and later to a 4 hp? I know, I don't like the idea of chopping the Fox - And it's a pretty cool bike that's pretty much like the Scorpion when you get it done, although not as cool.

All 70 speedways and some very early 71 with slanted engines had a diaphragm carb originally with no slant intake then they switched to slanted intake and bowl carb in early 71 till the end.

Last edited:
All 70 speedways and some very early 71 with slanted engines had a diaphragm carb originally with no slant intake then they switched to slanted intake and bowl carb in early 71 till the end.
So then they went to the drum brake after 1970 as well - am I correct in assuming the wheel on mine has been flipped - drum brake should be left side, sprocket right - when there's a torque converter of course. I have not yet been able to inspect the frame close enough to see if the bracket for the drum brake line is still welded to the frame - I'm assuming they used it to attach the incorrect chain guard.

Mine is a 1970 with bowl carb and no slant intake. Not the original carb but i do have the original carb that came on it.
So if I do the unthinkable and cut the Fox engine mount and weld it to the Shrike (and I do respect purests so believe me it would not be easy for me to take apart what is a pretty decent Fox frame, albeit in need of paint and everything else), could I ask you for some measurements to help me locate it as close to what the original was. Say, for example, a measurement from the center of the jackshaft to the center of the rear axel? I'm assuming the Fox is extremely close to the Speedway because they were both for Tecumseh HS engines. I do think Shrike had a 3 horse as opposed to the 40 the Street Scamp came with.

fistfullabar

My fox and speedway have slightly diff engine plate. The scorp has a slot in it for the seven inch driven while my fox the driven is placed on the outside.