Sprocket removal

chrisr

Sure, the easiest way is to cut the old tire off and then the part around the bead comes off a lot easier with the rest of the tire cut off. Just put the new tire on the side that does not have the sprocket. I had to do the same thing with this wheel on the Sportsman where the sprocket was welded to the wheel.

Sounds like a good way to get the tires off. Are the hub bearings removable? I would like to get the rims powder coated as im doing a full restoration. Since i joined this site i have been led to find some what i considered impossible parts to find
So i thank everyone again!

chrisr

Looks like a 5/8 axle and the bearing should pop out when you come from the back side with a punch or something like that. On mine I just sanded and cleaned the wheel and sprocket and taped each off so they could be painted different colors. I am not sure if the powder coating the sprocket may have too much build up but someone else may be able to chime in on this since I have only painted sprockets and not powder coated them.

The powdercoater can tape off the teeth. They are pretty good with that stuff. Most powdercoater places just sandblast and shoot. The guys i go to can do multicolored panels. They can do custom stuff

Get you a long punch or bolt and put it in one side all the way to the inside of the other bearing a hit with a hammer...it will come right out.

hit the bearing with pb blaster when you get the bearing out clean the bearing seat and replace the bearing ..powder coat is tough and thick and may be hard to get a new replacement bearing back into there just makes it easier to do IMO
dehav

thanks guys i knocked the bearings out they were dried up and nasty bought new ones and upgraded to a 5/8" axle kit just have to open up the frame axle holes a bit.