Spud guns, anyone got one?

Our kids had them when they were, but they can be dangerous if they do not fire right away. Goggle spud gun accidents and check out the young man that had a screwdriver lodge in his chest.

we used to make tennis ball cannons as kids....I made one for my 5th grade science project...I launched it in the gym....I almost got kicked out but as science has it...I got an a on my paper that went with it.

I have something that would shoot pieces of potatoes. You charge it with compressed air then pull the air release handle. Whatever you jammed down the 3/8ths barrel comes flying out. Ball bearings, studs, balls of paper, pens, whatever. You could easily core a potatoe with it. I'll take a pic and post it later

Our kids had them when they were, but they can be dangerous if they do not fire right away. Goggle spud gun accidents and check out the young man that had a screwdriver lodge in his chest.
They can be very dangerous in the wrong hands. Seems like in most of the vids they could have benefited, even prevented the accident with a lil gun safety 101.

I have one. I couldn't see yours that well, but mine uses an electric valve from a lawn sprinkler system. I've only shot snow out of it, packed down like an old muzzle loader. It makes a loud bang on a stop sign at 50 yards.

The street race legend (never was nor will he be a street race legend) Tall Paul on Street Outlaws has made a few. They shoot two blocks and we have sent bags of potatoes one spud at a time into the section 8 apartments, they shoot at one another all day anyway over there but it's fun seeing em washing spuds off their hoopties at the car wash.:laugh:

I have one. I couldn't see yours that well, but mine uses an electric valve from a lawn sprinkler system. I've only shot snow out of it, packed down like an old muzzle loader. It makes a loud bang on a stop sign at 50 yards.
Thats what mine uses, I removed the electric selonoid valve and installed a blow gun in the top of the valve cover. That way valve will open and dump the air down the barrel much faster making more muzzle energy. Its only a 1" valve so i only went with a 1" barrel to try to minimize the pressure drop across the valve. The 1" marbles fit so close they need no wading, shoot hard and fast, and are easy to find in bulk for cheap on the net.

The street race legend (never was nor will he be a street race legend) Tall Paul on Street Outlaws has made a few. They shoot two blocks and we have sent bags of potatoes one spud at a time into the section 8 apartments, they shoot at one another all day anyway over there but it's fun seeing em washing spuds off their hoopties at the car wash.:laugh:

Hey, we taxpayers paid for those hoopties (I'm assuming the shitbucket 1985 Oldsmobile Cutlass with $8000 worth of wheels on it), we got a right to launch spuds at whatever we want!!!

That made my day. Thanks. :laugh:

I used to dabble in potato cannons years ago. I made a couple that would shoot potatoes and golf balls really far. My favorite was one I did that had a 10' barrel and 3' chamber. It was a pain in the ass to load (took 2 people) and it sounded like a shotgun when it went off.

Here's my buddy holding the huge one (he's about 6'3").

Never shoot someone with one. I did that (we were drunk, he agreed) and it was a bad idea. The next day at work my buddy, not the guy pictured above, dropped his pants and said "look at my ass". His whole right cheek was purple. If it would have hit him anywhere but the ass he probably would have been in the hospital.

late edit: You can see the normal size potato cannon leaning up against the porch behind him. I basically did that one x3.

Last edited:

It sits in a state of disrepair. The holes for the wires were too big, and occasionally if the projectile was too tight in the barrel it wouldnt fire. 2 little jets of flame would blast out of those holes.

I want to make one, easier to load, prime, and fire. A better method of ignition too. Ive seen some use automotive ignition coils and spark plugs.

capguncowboy

We always had them as kids, but ours were ether powered. Some of the newer ones are pneumatic, and are a little less dangerous, but not by much.

My sister has a pneumatic grape cannon. My niece almost lost her eye due to some carelessness and lack of supervision.

23 stitches in total - 12 on the inside of her eyelid, and 11 on the outside. That really turned me away from wanting one.

We used to make them on the job site by "borrowing" the pipe and fittings from the plumber. we used cheap hairspray as propellant, and a starter from an old gas grill. We would then "borrow" electrical tape from the electrician and make "ammo" they were strong enough to send a tape ball through the sheathing (osb) at like 20 feet. Thankfully we never hurt anyone, but patching those holes was a pain!! They were also useful for scaring birds and such away form the job site.