Starting on two Cat 2501's.

The welds at the axle housing are a bit thick and lumpy, but look strong. I plan to do a bit of smoothing on them. Welds at fork plates are done on the bottom side, and look decent. Dimensions on the fork are exactly like my stock one. That frame has a gooseneck that is a tad shorter than the other Cat, so there is slop- I'll take it up with a washer.

For $100, I think it's an okay option. I was going nowhere with the bent forks, and probably could have welded up a set myself for about half the cost in materials.

No knurled area for throttle like on stock.
Another concern is the fork plates. How do the compare on width and shape?

heres a pic for you...sent it snail mail.
Got the seats today. Fitted the purple one and it looks pretty good. Nice choice of wood backing. I might run some steel supports to the back so my 220 pound ass doesn't break something. Kenny, I found hardware to fit in my bins, but for the trip to the hardware store later, what thread are the T bolts?

This is the purple that the bike will end up being. Maybe House of Kolor Kandy over a metallic base. Used that before. Good $tuff.

Yes, that is a leaky, bare metal gas tank. I'll get some urethane black for the entire engine later, so the fuel doesn't eat everything. And put my engine stickers on. It's all I can do not to do that now, lol!

45t

Looks good! :thumbsup:

For some reason that purple material on that seat looks familiar. I just can't place it though. :innocent:

Here's frame two, much welding done, sporting Tech 3.5 I just received from 45t. Runs good. Note fancy tank mount. :)

Also shown is those eBay forks, and mini bike stand made from old kitchen cutting board that used to be the wife's gardening stool. :biggrin:

I moved the seat up a tad on this one. Stock location just looked wrong with this seat, and the thicker material sags more when I sit on it. Note engine stickers. Got them from Jim in Oregon, great guy to deal with. They also added .3 HP to that B&S 2.5. :thumbsup:

Just needs paint and new engine gaskets. And clutch cover made with unobtanium.

Note "new" rear tire. You can tell I've been riding it. (And trying to stop it)

Here's the other one- Frame is stripped down, Tecumseh H35 installed and running, wheels restored and painted with GM silver metallic acrylic enamel. (I had left over)
Seat in stock location, but looks better than the purple one did there.

Needs a few more things of course, but running this one to see how everything is working. Last night, my son and I raced each other around the "block" which includes a long climb up the street, a few corners, and down hill sections.

Whoever rode this one was always ahead, but never by more than a few bike lengths. Up hill, that Teck pulls me faster than my son, and I outweigh him by 100 pounds. Same gearing. Most fun I've had in a long time. Neighbors commented, but around here things are pretty lax.

I'm so addicted, and such a fan boy! :bowdown:

45t

I'm so addicted, and such a fan boy!

Welcome to Hell, I'll be your tour guide for today! :devil2:

Seriously though, your bikes look great and that you can share the fun with your son makes it even better.

As far as the Cat parts go, each Cat guy gets a territory to cover. You have to fight over the AZ territory with Murrayeliminator. Good luck :laugh:

I moved the seat up a tad on this one. Stock location just looked wrong with this seat, and the thicker material sags more when I sit on it.
not to offend the CAT guys but that factory 250 seat always looked kinda "clunky" to me....and you're right the way they hung it off the back un-supported really makes it look like an afterthought...:shrug:

...unless you're after a 100% correct resto the 300 seat looks a lot better on them....just my 2 pennys...:smile:

As far as the Cat parts go, each Cat guy gets a territory to cover. You have to fight over the AZ territory with Murrayeliminator. Good luck :laugh:
LMAO! Yeah, territory! And Bullhead who is just up the road. My newbie ass doesn't stand a chance!

My son humors me. He's into his Nissan (turbo motor upgrade, and about 10K invested in that) But he couldn't pass up a race with Dad!

I so want a Slingshot, or even a Duster to restore. But maybe I should just buy every available 250X out there. (Without clutch covers of course, because they're un-obtainable)

not to offend the CAT guys but that factory 250 seat always looked kinda "clunky" to me....and you're right the way they hung it off the back un-supported really makes it look like an afterthought...:shrug:

...unless you're after a 100% correct resto the 300 seat looks a lot better on them....just my 2 pennys...:smile:
Agree 100%. Kenny sez he's seen a few original seat woods that were broken in the back. Oh, and why in the hell did HPE angle that rear mount back? I am SO tempted to twist that metal so it sits flat and flush...or shim it with correct angle.