Stock Disc brakes not working right

I picked up a used DB30 and its all still in stock form.. just for kickin around. I've ridden several of these and on all of them the brakes stopped pretty well (for a 250lb guy going 12mph). This one just doesn't have a good feel though. I have tried adjusting all the parts but with little success. It seems like i get it so that they hang up or dont work much at all. They actuate correctly and have full range of movement on the handlebar. It seems more like the rotor is glazed or something so they try to stop but don't grab hard.

Any thoughts with pictures so i can see what you're talking about lol...

Thanks

vette66_00

If the rotor or pads (or both) are glazed you can use some 800 grit sand paper on the surface of the pads, then spin the wheel and use it on the disc. This should take most of the glazing off. All you want to do it make it dull looking.

Try it and let us know.

Last edited:
After you do what vette 66 said you might want to spray a little brake cleaner on the pads and rotor to remove any oil or grease which may still be present. Ogy

delray

try what vette and ogy said:thumbsup:if everything is working right? it kind of sounds like you have oil or grease on the pads? brake cleaner will fix that and dry with compress air:thumbsup:

After you do what vette 66 said you might want to spray a little brake cleaner on the pads and rotor to remove any oil or grease which may still be present. Ogy
Definitely a possibility, I'd clean em then scuff em up a bit. I had to adjust mine today and noticed there is very little material left as the pads go, so I need to get the hydraulic setup at least pre-ordered!

cxbra

You have too much slop in the lever, meaning your brakes are grabbing on the rim but with the force of a 2 year old. You have to pull the brake cable through the arm a little bit, test and adjust again. Its called tensioning. Set the brakes to where the lever only moves a half inch or so before it grabs but make sure they're not grabbing at the same time (back wheel should spin fairly freely)

I have a lot of experience w/ brakes like these, im a bicycle mechanic. People say they're garbage, but when adjusted correctly WILL lock up the back tire! The problem is, theres a thin line between full force grabbing and not grabbing at all! Also, when set up correctly you will need a stronger brake line, as the stock one stretches too much and breaks. Just take your time, and adjust in short intervals and you'll get it right.

The issue is strange because if im thinking right like most mechanical discs they have sort of an angled cog that moves to push the pad against the rotor. If you get full range of actuation like i have they should work as long as they are preloaded correctly using the little 8mm nut to just barely drag the rotor.

I'll try to adjust the cable by loading it up a little tighter though. I do have full movement at the handlebar though as far as travel.

Thanks