Stock motor has an over sized shaft?

fonz

As posted elsewhere, the stock shaft is slightly larger (a few thousandths) than 5/8”, so I had to turn it down for the Comet clutch to fit, which was easy to do. With the clutch removed, I ran the engine while applying files and sandpaper. I checked with calipers to make sure I didn’t overdo it.
A few thousands is a lot! Is this true? All the shafts measure over 0.625 inches?
I don't remember the thread Zipseattle is quoting, but an over sized shaft would be a major bummer for trying to using a popular American made clutch then.
My neighbors have the stock motor and are not too handy. I know some where along the line they will ask if I can change the clutch for them. I'd hate to be forced to but another Baja clutch! I figured a Comet or Max-Torque would be a no brainer! Damn if I want to start filing and sanding a shaft!!

Last edited:
It took about 30-40 minutes total. The inside bore of the Comet clutch mic'd about 0.626 or so. The shaft on the DB motor mic'd about 0.628 on the end to about 0.629-0.630 near the block.

It really was easy, if a bit boring. With the motor running it was just like applying a file to a piece of stock on a lathe.

Now that I think about it, I probably could have used a power tool with a fine sanding disk to speed things up, but there would have been a greater chance of overdoing it.

Your call, but I found the small hassle worth it - smoother clutch, and better power...

Last edited:
Max-Tourque clutch

My brother had trouble getting his Max-Tourque to fit on the shaft as well. He used A dremel with A sanding drum to slightly open the inside of the clutch bore. The other thing he can now do is change the clutch bell from the M/T's 12 tooth sprocket to the stocker's 11 tooth sprocket by removing the retaining bolt and snap ring. The Max-Tourque stall speed is higher which is why I want one now. you can throttle the motor without it grabbing right away like the stocker.