straight bar powell

I am restoring an old minibike that I bought at a swap meet. I have discovered that it is a Powell, and that the top bar is straight, without the bend that most have. It has some of the shifter system left, but no motor.

I have a B&S 7 hp that would be correct for a phantom 7, but it barely fits under the bar and doesn't line up right, so this one must have been a lower hp one.

My frame looks just like the infamous one in the '68 Rod and Custom except the seat is like later ones (not a banana). Are the straight-bar ones earlier models? I don't remember my front wheel having the ribs (or being aluminum, for that matter)

What the heck do I have, and what would be the correct and highest HP motor for this restoration? Where can I get the torque converter for the engine shaft? I have the pulley on the swing arm pivot.

I am away from my shop for a while and can't check out any serial number (are there any?), olr take any pics, but I will do so soon.

Thanks for your expertise and help.

Randy

Randy,
Sounds about like the one I have. Does it look like this? The serial number is on the top bar. Not sure what the numbers mean however. Do a search for powell and you should find some info.
Dave

Randy,
Sounds about like the one I have. Does it look like this? The serial number is on the top bar. Not sure what the numbers mean however. Do a search for powell and you should find some info.
Dave
Nice Challenger Dave
Love to see some pictures of the other side specifically the shifter setup.
:thumbsup:

I am restoring an old minibike that I bought at a swap meet. I have discovered that it is a Powell, and that the top bar is straight, without the bend that most have. It has some of the shifter system left, but no motor.

I have a B&S 7 hp that would be correct for a phantom 7, but it barely fits under the bar and doesn't line up right, so this one must have been a lower hp one.

My frame looks just like the infamous one in the '68 Rod and Custom except the seat is like later ones (not a banana). Are the straight-bar ones earlier models? I don't remember my front wheel having the ribs (or being aluminum, for that matter)

What the heck do I have, and what would be the correct and highest HP motor for this restoration? Where can I get the torque converter for the engine shaft? I have the pulley on the swing arm pivot.

I am away from my shop for a while and can't check out any serial number (are there any?), olr take any pics, but I will do so soon.

Thanks for your expertise and help.

Randy
Hi Randy welcome to OldMiniBikes
Your Challenger would have a copper 4HP Briggs.
Post some pictures when you get a chance along with the serial number.

Thanks all. Moine looks like the identical twin of the pic without a motor. I am looking for th correct one and will need the belt clutch/torque converter too. What do I need to know to locate the correct used or new unit?

The driven pulley and idler pulley assembly are all there, I think, but the actual shifter is gone. Where do I find a pattern to build a replacement? I noticed that some are tall and have a set of indentions in what appears to be a strip of rubber on the top tube while others are short, and I can't tell what holds them in gear. What is correct on mine and where can I get the info to replace?

When I get back to the shop in a few weeks I will get pics and numbers.

Thanks,

Randy

Mine is a little different than that. The silver part with the idler pulley on it fits on the same shaft as the rear pulley/sprocket combo.

Randy

Randy
I thought they might be alike since they both have the straight bars and are early models.
When you get to your shop, get the serial number off the top of the bar and we will compare them to see if they are close to the same.
Dave