Strange 4 hp Engine..

I recently got a mini bike with a 3 complete engines from my friends pasture, I asked my friend which engine did it come with originally he said the white engine, I talked to some people on here and it's the original 4 hp Tecumseh engine. My friend said it ran fine until one day he couldn't get it to start, I asked if he did the basics, fresh gas, oil (optional), new spark plug, check for spark, and clean the carb. He said yes he has tried everything. SO, I get it home and take apart the carb and discover he has not cleaned the carb considering it is cake with rust and mold, I take it over to my bench grinder and wire all of it away, undo the jets, clean them till they're like new, replace the spark plug, fresh gas with filter. Pull it no start, shoot some ether, starts up just fine, just wont run correctly. I try tuning it right and manage to get it to idle with high throttle and try to tune it and it will not tune right. I started it today and managed to get it started without ether but with full choke fires perfect, I keep the throttle high trying to get it to warm up so I can remove the choke, after 3 minutes and turn down the choke dies. I start back up run for a little while more, try again, dies. After that it would start the died immediately.. I can't get it right. Please help, I'm only 15 years old and not very experienced yet.

do you have a gasket leak were the carb meats the engine? if so it will run with choke but draw to much air with choke off.