Stuck Clinton

So I got this gorgeous Clinton as a free throw-in with some motors I bought last weekend. Its stuck but I've been looking for one lately to try out some techniques I read about in an article awhile back. Seems like an interesting winter project.

I opened it yesterday and here are some shots of how it looks. Looks like its mainly stuck from rust. Some pics are when it was first opened and one from after I wiped it down. Which this article says is a better thing than over heating or whatever. I did notice a small hole up near where the exhaust valve and manifold are. That can't be good but is it a show stopper? It's not joined with the bore. So has anyone ever gone through this process? basically looking to see if this one is worth the effort, as it would be such a shame to let this one go to waste. Just love the way it looks and its a heavy cast iron SOB! I filled it will Marvels Miracle Oil and I'll top it off each day. I'll try and turn it after 3 days.

CarPlayLB

Man Johnny...you gettin' some nice engines!
I think the spot you see that may be rusted through is probably just a thin spot in the casting between the valves. It doesn't go any where...you'll be fine! Thanks for the pics and keep posting!

I think the spot you see that may be rusted through is probably just a thin spot in the casting between the valves. It doesn't go any where...you'll be fine! Thanks for the pics and keep posting!
Yes I've got a nice inventory going in my garage now. In fact I had to make a big ol' shelf over the weekend. Got a good 15 or so vintage collection in last two months. I'll have to snap a pic.

Anyway yeah that hole seems harmless enough. May even lead to the head bolt hole. It's close. Maybe I'll move this to the projects page. Either way I'll keep the updates coming. Thanks

Realized I should have opened up the crank case before I started soaking the bore. It could have been a whole host of things seizing the motor up. All looks fine. And that hole is a normal passageway that I can see right through after I took the shroud off. Even found that screw driver inside the shroud as a bonus! Haha

So I figured out finally these old Clintons open up from the bottom. Its soaking upside down now. Still stuck

Found these in the layer of sludge on the bottom of the crankcase.n what ae they?

Here's the engines I don't have currently mounted on anything. Minus the Mac 45 which stays indoors in the man cave at all times. Getting them running one by one. Slow going as I can't seem to concentrate on one. I bounce around too much. I'd say a third of them are going at this point.

That actually looks identical to my old Clinton. Bought a rod for it, trying to find time to put it together.

They're really neat old engines. Mine ran for years & years & years & years with bare minimum maintenance turning a small water pump at low speed.

And yes, they're HEAVY (but that's good... let's see a Predator put up with that punishment :wink: )

That actually looks identical to my old Clinton. Bought a rod for it, trying to find time to put it together.

They're really neat old engines. Mine ran for years & years & years & years with bare minimum maintenance turning a small water pump at low speed.

And yes, they're HEAVY (but that's good... let's see a Predator put up with that punishment :wink: )
Need any parts? Haha. Breaks my heart that its got more than being stuck as its issue. Ill put out an ebay auto alert for the gov weights but im not hopeful. Hands down the best looking motor ive got.

nice collection :thumbsup:
how many of them are 1 inch shafts?
seems like the ratio for me is to find ten 1 inchers for every 3/4.
ive passed on a ton of motors already because of that and stepped cranks :doah: