Success with old junk tractors

OK so well I have a few tractors around mostly craftsman so I'm not sure if they can be really called tractors but thats what I call them.

Anyway I have been tinkering trying to piece one together from all the parts and today I got the plow tractor up and running.Ohh sure I could have just put the plow on my mowing tractor but wheres the fun it that.

In no time I was plowing everything problem was I was still in the garage.:doah:
I plowed my two quarts lights on a tri-pod stand and broke a leg off:doah: I plowed into the shelfs behind me:doah: I plowed into the garage door.:doah:

But I'm happy atleast it moves its stopping it that seems to be the problem.

Actually the pulleys are a bit rusty and the belt is gripping a bit much but I'm hoping to clean that up and have a bit more clutch control.

So here is a picture and as you can see its just a little tractor but it has been fun to work on.
It had an 11HP engine but I havnt been able to get that one to run so I put this 12HP engine on it that runs fine plus it had a seperate choke which I like much better than the combo throttle/choke setup that is so typical on these little tractors.I rigged up a generic automobile hand choke to operate the choke.
I had to use the rear tires off a donor tractor since they actually hold air but I have been shopping around for a full set of snow tires for it.I'll most likely just throw the set of chains I have on it as is and run it this winter.

This beast is next I hope the trans works on it.
Some variable belt drive setup I'm not familar with......yet.
I may put the snow thrower on this one.:lol:
The engine runs but I wanted to change the carb and havnt worked on it much since I focused more on the baby plow tractor.

Here's one of my old tractors, But I wouldn't call it junk. 1968 1050 Bolens with attachments. My Grandpa bought it new in 68 and I have every paper and service manual for it. This thing built like a tank they do not build them like this anymore. It suppose to snow today I'll have to put the blade back on it and tire chains, It pushes snow really good. I also have two Heavy duty Wheelshorse's one a 1973 10hp Auto and a 1993, 520-H. No pictures on digital of them. but there in great condition.

Last edited:
Thats nice.
Being old doesnt make something junk but the tractors I have are nothing special and are actually very common.I have NO qualms about cutting, hacking or modding them in anyway.

I just have the old (but not real old) craftmans mainly because people throw them away :lol: so parts tractors are easy to come by.
I think I'll end up with 3 runners total out of five.

Tires are killing me and I may have to buy a full set for the plow tractor.The smooth airplane type tires on the front dont offer much steering control in the snow.:lol:

I really want to take the rear axle off a matching machine and put it on the back of the plow tractor this summer and have 6 wheeled 4wd tractor for next year it would look a little like a mini road grader.:lol:

I dont think it would be all that difficult and actually looks like a very fun project.

My mother in-law had one just like yours, that the mower deck was shot on it. She let her brother strip a bunch of the good parts off of it, My brother in-law and I wanted to make a racing mower out of it but too many parts were remove before we thought of doing it,the engine was one of them.:doah:

I'm going to end up with quit a few extra parts when its all done.

People put them up on CL about 6-8 a year for free but I never seem to be able to make the connection ...most likely someone offers them a little cash and thats that.

Last summer I was just to busy to chase them down but I'm hoping this summer will be a bit more relaxed.

I'll be waiting to pounce this spring in hopes of grabbing a couple that have been replaced this last christmas.:lol:

Success

So we got a little snow, light fluffy snow and I do some last minute prep on the old tired craftsman tractor and headed out into the fluffly snow.

Here is a picture giving an idea of how much snow we got I'd say about 2-3 at most.
(looking at the snow on the saw horses up against the house)

Here is the finished drive so far just need a little more clean up around my TB and the wife was helping do clean up with a shovel.

Here is the tractor as used and even with no tire chains and weights it did better than I expected.
The front tires were about useless.(OK well yeah they did keep the front end from dragging :lol:)

It is usable but I hate HATE that lift handle setup and that will be going ASAP and I want to hook up some sort of seat operated angle control.

The blade is mounted a little to far back and rubs the front tires so that will get changed.
Reverse is to damn slow

They were forcasting more snow to the south and the Ypsi area always seems to get more of the nasty weather.

The mule would be lots of fun with a plow on it but I just cant spend the money it will take to get it setup for one.I am going to take it for a ride today or this weekend though it is fun to run around in the snow even without 4WD.

I sold this last summer it was a 1966 Cub Cadet 102 10 hp .. it was totally restored ,

I use a Cub Cadet 1461 do do the snow plowing around here

i used to restore these when i was younger i had all kinds of oldies i still got one a 67 ford 120 deluxe lawn tractor with a 12hp kohler its in my shed for a rainy day lol i also got a big ol craftsmen i redid lime green with flames has a V-twin 18hp hi-lo rear end the guy we got it from used to move private jets around on a air strip so it has touque

I sold this last summer it was a 1966 Cub Cadet 102 10 hp .. it was totally restored ,

I use a Cub Cadet 1461 do do the snow plowing around here
Now those are some nice tractors SHOE.

I stick to the sears/craftsman and the like because they are inexpensive to get but I would like to get a tractor that has a horizontal shaft engine instead of a vertical engine some day along with some other features.

i had a lawn mower that you could pick up with one hand it was sweet a 66 sears super mini had a deck and everything 15inches baby LOL i stuck a 8 hp on it and made it a wheel stander that thing would walk wheelies from one end of my street to the other (until you fell off) it had 3 speeds foward nutral and reverse coolest tractor i had

BUMP --- NO I HAVE SUBSTANCE lol

OK so a friend gave me this tractor.

I love this thing and I havnt even got it out of my trailer.:lol:
Oh sure it needs a bit of TLC but the plow is far far better than the other one I have been using.

I think he said it was an onan but I havnt looked real close to make sure yet.

I'll know for sure as soon as I get into it and start wrenching on it.
I havnt had to much time to mess with it but I have a three day weekend coming up so I'll tear into it a bit then.

All I know so far is its a 1976 sears suburban that is according to what I found by running the numbers 917.25950.
It has a 3 speed trans with hi/lo range 16 hp-twin cylinder horizontal (SS/16).

The hood is a mess up front and is broken at the fiberglas hinge (front grill) so I'll have to come up with something to fix that.

All I have for it so far is the plow but i'll be keeping an eye open for other attachments.

Well I got the onan fired up today, it smokes a bit on startup (blue smoke :sadcrying4:) but it does run and on both cylinders.

I will drive it a bit sunday just for kicks but the hood needs work so it is off right now and I dont want to drive it to much like that and I need a new air filter also.

I now have three runners and a fourth is not far away.

maybe I could trade one for a baja.:lol:

Onan's are good engines, I got 20hp twin in my Wheelhorse 520-H, Its a power house. Your going to run out of room in the garage if your storing 3 tractors in there.

yeah I hear they are very good engines but also very expensive to repair.

I have three tractors in the garage right now.
one is the plow tractor I have been using and it could go outside the other is the SS16 and the third is the craftsman LTV that I still need to get running (clean carb).

I have little room in there right now but that will change this summer as i get more of the junk sorted out.

Last edited: