Suggested Harbor Freight Predator 212cc Modifications?

If you saw my previous thread asking to clarify on some things with the HF Predator 212cc Horizontal engine I am working on a quad project. With that project I am stuck with some difficulties... I need to get an engine that is too tall to fit in the frame while not spending too much & not doing too much work.

For example, I do not want to get a high flow air kit that forces me to rejet my carb. I'd just like a kit that allows me to put an air filter lower to allow more room.

What needs to be solved while reducing work & cost.
(I don't mind not gaining much power or any)
  1. I need to lower the air filter & I don't want to rejet my carb.
  2. I also need to either make a custom exhaust or purchase one. I know that they sell some exhaust systems but I'm not sure how well they will fit.
    Maybe this: Header, Box Stock Clone Header, AKRA Legal
    Or one of the four listed on this page: hi performance part karting kart mower dragster minibike briggs clone
    (Frame pictures will be posted below for you to compare to)
  3. Any other suggested modifications that are small but may give extra power for an extra buck or two? Nothing like removing the governor, getting a billet rod/flywheel, etc..

Pictures:

Can I ask why you don't want to mess with a rejet? It's very easy, and I don't feel like it gave me any more power. You don't want to run too lean, and with almost any different air filter you should rejet.
I have found a metal plate that could be welded to the bottom frame rails (assuming the cheap metal in the frame doesn't melt away) on eBay for about $12. I have two of the same frames that I got for free. I plan on doing that. You can skip the gas tank and use the one from the quad. As for the pipe, you might need to make one. Cut up the old quad pipe and use it. You can also cut the clone muffler up and add some steel tubing between the muffler and the mount. You can bend it any way you want. I have a conduit bender that would work. I can bend some 45 degree bends for you for free. You pay shipping. It would allow you to play around with it. You'd have to get someone to weld it for you.
I'm anxious to see how this goes. I just came in from working on my similar project. This is certainly the way to go because the batteries in those things NEVER held a charge. Pull start will be awesome on it.

Last edited: