Super Bronc Belt Study - Interesting!

When I first put my bronc together I asked Ron at power tec on what belt I should use for my super bronc, He told me the comet #203591 belt was the correct one. I remember installing the belt and it just "plopped" on without having to spread the driven sheaves and was a fairly loose fit. I measured the CC distance and it came out to be 7-9/16" and technically it was the right belt, However I believe I had premature belt wear as I did not even get a year out of the 203591 belt.

A little while later I scored a NOS heald belt #203-026 belt and never will intended to use it and I could not compare to my 203591 belt as it was already shot. I needed a new belt either way and I obviously didnt want to order the 203591 again.

So placed a small order with mfgsupply and got the next size smaller...the 203590. This belt looks to better suit the drive system (I havent put it on the bike yet) but comparing the two belts side by side I was just amazed at how much beefier the original heald belt was to the comet. They appear to be the same width but the thickness is waaaaay different (see pics) I guess I can honestly say they don't make them like they used too.

I have a notion to call comet and see if I can investigate if this belt could still be bought? its a #203 belt index so comet must have made them for heald? I just find it interesting to compare since I have a new heald belt to work with.

Thanks, I went out and installed the belt and took it out for a ride. MUCH better! The shift point on the driven seems to be spot on now. I have one question though. I probably rode maybe a mile, and when I got back the belt seemed like it had a lint fuzzy like crap comming of the side of the belt, is this normal? There wasnt alot... My other belt did this too and the clutches are lined up. I'll run it and see how it goes. About all I can say is if this one does what the old belt did then I'll have to step up to a comet 40 series setup :eek:ut:

It shouldnt be worn that much from one ride. Something is wrong. Take a look at the sheves, and see if something is stuck on it, or cracked.

The clutches look perfect, They are less than a year old. I think something is out of whack though. Beings the 30 series inner sheaves are fixed do you line up the clutch by inner sheaves or from the center of the halfs on each clutch? I really never paid much attention to this and figured I had it right but may be wrong.

Thanks guys. I checked and the backside of the clutches are evenly spaced from the torqaverter plate. I did shim the driven out with 1 really flat 5/8" washer and went out and and rode the same distance and came back and didn't have the fuzzy lint crap. I think I got it? are they that picky on alignment? Time will tell.

Also you guys with the torqaverters when you pinch the belt together how far should it come from touching or is it supposed to touch? I have about 3/4" to an 1 inch gap when the belt is pinched together on the bike. To me I think this is the perfect belt to use with the heald backplate.

I've usually had to space the driver and the beld tells you whats going on. My last tav was wearing on the right and one washer on the shaft fixed it. Usually just tot on the driver bushing is just right for isometric.

The old 591 belt really touched and had a 1/2" gap around the driver shaft, everytime you nailed the throttle the bike would jolt hard or want to flip over backwards, It made riding very difficult. Even when the belt was new you could install it with one hand... just slipped right on. I also observed with the old belt with someone else riding the it and the belt would pull tight on the top side and the lower part of the belt sagged down, I KNOW that wasnt right. I guess the only thing I can do now is keep an eye on it and see how it wears... so far it's looking good and I think the 590 belt is the replacement I'll be using from now on.

Im not sure why you guys are not going to an auto parts store to get these belts. It looks like the NEWER belt you have pictured is a 13XXX size and the other is a 17XXX. Go to Napa and ask them to look at the belts. Most of the Napa's have a belt measuring tool on the wall. Get the 17xxx of what ever size you find in length.

My local Napa is of no help for anything. I needed sandpaper for my paint work on my rupp and they didnt have any that I needed. They only way they would have ordered it is if I bought a box of 50 sheets at $1.23 a sheet and I needed a few different grits. Napa here charges shipping cost for whatever they have to order in.

These are not just ribbed V-belts, They are flat on one side and have an angle on the other and are 3/4" wide. Maybe you already know this but just wanted to point it out and maybe napa can get a 30 series belt? But I'll never go back there and ask. Plus I like to order from mfgsupply, their shippments are on my doorstep in 2 days.

The pictures are of the belts laying on top of eachother, The new belt I ordered is closer to the original length of the Heald belt than the old one was.

I've usually had to space the driver and the beld tells you whats going on. My last tav was wearing on the right and one washer on the shaft fixed it. Usually just tot on the driver bushing is just right for isometric.
What this should say is.

I've usually had to space the driver clutch just right and the belt tells you whats going on. My last tav belt was wearing on the right and removing one spacer washer on the shaft fixed it. Usually just tot on the driver bushing is just the right tension for isometric belts.

Im not sure why you guys are not going to an auto parts store to get these belts. It looks like the NEWER belt you have pictured is a 13XXX size and the other is a 17XXX. Go to Napa and ask them to look at the belts. Most of the Napa's have a belt measuring tool on the wall. Get the 17xxx of what ever size you find in length.
I've never seen any of the right belts at auto parts stores. Lawnmower or rental places maybe.

I was scratching my head thinking the same thing. I really doubt comet would have a non standard size belt made specifically for them. If you want a seriously tough belt look into the gates fleet runners, made for diesels napa sells them. FleetRunner® V & Micro-V® Belts - Heavy-Duty Industrial & Light-Duty Belts | Gates Corporation I just used one on a custom twin supercharger project on my truck.

Jordon

Ok, I just got my TAV2 in the mail today. I think it is an odd ball belt. If anyone knows any cross reference numbers it would be nice to have some more options.

Jordon

The belts aren't the same as auto's.

I did notice a thicker symmetrical looking belt at Lowes in the mower section but they wanted $28!!!!!!!!

Just pay the $19 and get the right one from a mini/Kart place.

Ok, I just got my TAV2 in the mail today. I think it is an odd ball belt. If anyone knows any cross reference numbers it would be nice to have some more options.

Jordon
You have to have the right width, length and style. Yours is isometrically so good luck finding it in a regular store let alone less than $19.