Super Bronc project has begun

All I know about Super Bronc's is..
1. I want one!
2. I will never have one!

Doug, If you don't take any videos of this build it will be a crime!
Don't make me send you a video camera!!!
I'll do it man! I swear I'll do it!
:punk:

1. I want one!

Doug, If you don't take any videos of this build it will be a crime! would not sell it to me
If you want video you better get to packing that camera..... I don't own one..... No kids, no need for movies.... And you are correct. it needs to be done. YOU could make a road trip and come enjoy some of this 70 degree weather we are having.... :thumbsup:

And don't give up on owning one if you really want one. I tried to buy one 15 or 16 years ago from a friend that would not sell it to me. He didn't know what it was. I didn't know what it was. All it was, was a roller but those big tires and fenders were calling to me...... I keep looking for one but never found one..

I picked up a minibike frame at an estate auction for a $1.50 bid. in November or December of 2015. I had no clue what it was beyond a "minibike". A google search brought me here to the forums in January. I figured out I had a Cat 250X. And after a year and thanks to the great members here I figured out what it was and have collected the parts to put it back together as it would have been. I also stumbled upon pictures of that fat tired bike that I wanted so badly. I learned it was a Super Bronc and started looking. And everyone that I found was on the west coast..... But this one just came to me. Thanks Andy!!! It was meant to be mine. Keep looking and there is one out there for you too.

Doug

Last edited:
I've already purchased two of his, and they're really good. He has one on ebay right now.
The irony of the kickstand is, I bought it off ebay after someone on the forum posted that one was for sale on ebay by a forum member. It came in the mail and the wife brought it in the house with the rest of the mail. I opened it and showed it to her. I asked her if she new what it was and of course she said no. I told her it was a kick stand for a minibike I didn't own yet..... That's how much confidence I had that I would own one of these bikes one day... Little did I know what was to come.

Doug

Last edited:
This very bike sat in my garage for three days . It is the best example of a surviver that I've ever seen . I might clean it up but would not take her apart . With a hundred or so miles how could anything be worn on it . Turn the carb screws if she's rich . I had a VT 10 that my father bought from the original owner with 600 miles on it and besides from sitting and some rust all the moving parts were fine .

This is one sweet machine! I searched for one last summer but no luck. I wonder if these were sold up here in Canada??

It's so clean and straight looking, I wonder how it escaped the hands of time.

How's the exhaust note with that added can muffler system?

Hope you feel better soon, I'm excited to see some detailed pics of this beast!

1. I want one!

Doug, If you don't take any videos of this build it will be a crime!
He needs a tablet..I use a sometimes good functioning tablet with a cracked screen..lol..i don't pay more that $100 for them...Doug...your minis are your kids..well and your stuffed animals..:laugh: hope you feel better

Last edited:
This very bike sat in my garage for three days . It is the best example of a surviver that I've ever seen . I might clean it up but would not take her apart . With a hundred or so miles how could anything be worn on it . Turn the carb screws if she's rich . I had a VT 10 that my father bought from the original owner with 600 miles on it and besides from sitting and some rust all the moving parts were fine .
David, Andy told me you picked it up for him. I hear you but it is coming apart. The bushings in the neck are worm enough to have play in them which I found hard to believe. BUT if the person who bought and assembled this bike is the one who put the forks on it they were not greased just installed... I know they were a kit but what exactly was involved in assembling them. The chain has never been adjusted either. I want to clean the whole bike thoroughly as well. The rear brake has a 3/8's nut on it for a cable adjustment spacer...... And I have issues with the way the wiring and cables were routed. Every cable is dry. It just needs some love and its going to get it. I don't like the position of the controls. They will be corrected as I go. The chrome needs to be thoroughly cleaned and shined. I have an old can of Ford chrome cleaner, best chrome cleaner I have ever used. Then a coat of old fashioned paste wax to protect it and it will shine like new money. Believe me, it will be worth the time trouble and effort to do what I am going to do. If you like it now it will be super nice when I finish the detail work on it.

I just wish my back wasn't messed up as I would have it in pieces before lunch and have things progressing by the evening....

Doug

Last edited:
This is one sweet machine! I searched for one last summer but no luck. I wonder if these were sold up here in Canada??

It's so clean and straight looking, I wonder how it escaped the hands of time.

How's the exhaust note with that added can muffler system?

Hope you feel better soon, I'm excited to see some detailed pics of this beast!
Not an added can muffler... It is the factory system.

Like every other one in the world, it could use some new fork boots. They are pretty good but one has a split in it.

Does anybody have a good pair I can buy? I would like to replace them while it is apart. Or a suggestion for a replacement?

Thanks,

Doug

Doug...your minis are your kids...:laugh: hope you feel better
We have 4 legged kids.... A Pembroke Welsh Corgi and 2 Norwegian Elkhounds. And a stray cat that adopted us as a tiny kitten... Did I mention that I don't like cats..... But she is a pretty entertaining character. She goes in the shop with me every time I go and mouse's... Hasn't found one yet though... Unbelievably when I head out the door I can whistle for her and she comes running because I have locked her in before.... She is proud when she finds a mouse in the yard because she brings it to you to show it to you.

Doug

Davis

X2 for me their only unscathed once sounds like a investment killer I wouldn't even ride that thing.

Doug,
I agree, performing needed maintenance and parts replacement as/if needed is fine (and expected). I just don't see how you need a complete "tear down" on this bike like you stated you were going to do in your original post. That being said, it is YOUR bike and you are entitled to do anything YOU want to it.
Michael

Well I don't plan to take the motor off or apart. But that being said, I have to fix the rear brake and I have not looked at what is involved in doing that. The cables need to come off and be cleaned and properly lubed. The forks need to come off to replace the bronze bushings in the neck. The smartest way I see is to remove the front wheel first, then the fork. As an end result it will be pretty much torn down....

Maybe "a complete tear down" was a miss statement by me. A complete cleaning and a little polish wont do anything but make it better. I think you would do the same thing I am going to do if you had it in your possession. The last thing that needs to happen is to have an accident because something is sticky or wont work like the rear brakes.

I want to install the horn and I would like to install a headlight switch on the left bar. And I don't have any choice with the wiring. It is just to hap hazard to me. And it has zip ties everywhere for the wiring.

The chain needs a lot of attention. I will tend to it at the same time I deal with the rear brake. And while I am there I just as well clean and properly lube the torque converter.

It becomes that proverbial while I am here I just as well service this and while I have that apart I just as well service this.....

I cant hardly walk from this back pain but I will get on it soon. I hope.

I have been restoring cars all my life. I know how to do what I plan to do and you wont be able to tell I was ever there. It definitely wont devalue the bike, that is for sure. Washing and waxing and service are part of the life of anything mechanical. I am just going to do what it needs to be "right" as an end result. Whatever it takes is what it takes to make it right.

Doug

Last edited:
Doug,
Based on the your (now) clearer description of what you plan on doing to the Bronc I agree 100% with your plan and that is pretty much the same as my son and I needed to do on the 1974 Vt-8 he bought last year. Wait to you ride that bike- they are REALLY comfortable, can climb anything they can get traction on and are an overall blast to ride!
Michael

Doug,
Based on the your (now) clearer description of what you plan on doing to the Bronc I agree 100% with your plan and that is pretty much the same as my son and I needed to do on the 1974 Vt-8 he bought last year. Wait to you ride that bike- they are REALLY comfortable, can climb anything they can get traction on and are an overall blast to ride!
Michael
Michael, there ya go. Now we are on the same page.

All I have ever heard about the Super Broncs has been positive about ride quality and what kind of ground it will cover.

I guess I did make it seem like I was taking it 100 percent apart down to the last bolt.... But I hope I have cleared that up. It doesn't need rebuilt it just needs serviced. But you have to take it apart to a degree to get to what you need to service.

I think someone put the wrong brake band on the rear brake. It has a 3/8's nut between the cable and the band like it is taking up unnecessary slack. I seem to recall reading on here that there is a 4 inch and a 4 1/4 or 4 3/8 band brake. I don't know... yet.

Doug

Last edited:
The forks need to come off to replace the bronze bushings in the neck. The smartest way I see is to remove the front wheel first, then the fork.
Doug, I don't know about the VT8 but on my VT3 the only way I found to get the front tire off was to pull the lower fork legs with the wheel still mounted to them and I have had it apart at least 4 times :doah: I still have to take it apart again to fix a broken neck tube :doah: While I have only ridden a VT10 a couple of times I find my VT3 a much better ride and if you make it to Windber don't let [MENTION=20377]buckeye[/MENTION] ride it :laugh: