Super Bronc VT10

So I did something really stupid the other day. The battery in my super bronc was dead so I purchased a new one and went to swap it out. Well I took the old one out, then the wife was getting impatient with me and yelled at me to come in and help put the kids to bed. I went in as a good father would and then returned outside to hook up the new battery only to have her get after me again. So I quickly tried to hook it up and be done, not paying attention I connected the incorrect wires to the terminals and smoke came out of the engine. GRRR!!

Do you think I fried the ignition coil? My light won't turn on, the fuses still look good. Not sure what the heck I did but it was stupid!

Any help and guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey RobinHood,

Ok, you say you connected the wrong wires. If you can, be specific on exactly which wires you reversed.

Does the engine turn over? do you have spark at the plug? Does the engine run if you pull start it?

First thing is to check the fuses for continuity. They can look fine and still be open. If you don't have a meter, replace them anyway as they are cheap. Next, pull the pull start cover off and look at the diode. That may be toasted. It's under the pull start cover and may also be under the flywheel.

Let us know what you find.

Doc

Well great! That's what I thought. Doc, it doesn't have the pull start, it has a key start. I appreciate the feedback. How much work is it to replace the ignition coil?

chrisr

I think what Doc is saying, under your blower housing where normally you have a pull starter attached to see if you see the diodes or they may be under the flywheel (may be under the wire wrap and tape near the end of the wires) but I would check continuity of the wires first before cutting into the wire wrap and tape. The blower housing is held on with 4 bolts and I first take off the electric starter which is held on with four bolts before taking off the blower housing.

Here is a pic of what you are looking for once the flywheel is removed. If the wires are burnt on the coils and smells really bad you found your problem.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tec...mseh+hm80+engine+points&imgrc=OztfbvUktWIlEM:

Last edited:

chrisr

To clarify, you do not have to take the starter off to take off the blower housing but if you are going to take off the flywheel for a closer look at the points and coils I just take the starter off to make taking off and putting on the flywheel easier. Good luck and let us know what you find.

Well, it's been over a year since I have been able to get on this website and work on my Super Bronc. Pretty pathetic, needless to say... However, I do have a good excuse: We had twins and it has been crazy busy! I am just now getting back on my feet.

So, I removed the blower housing by removing the four bolts exposing the fly wheel (see below). I believe that I can see the wire going behind the flywheel similar to the picture that Chris attached to his post. My question is how do I remove the flywheel. I see the large bolt and nut in the center but my flywheel turns every time I try to crank it off. I called a small engine repair shop and the guy told me to be very careful removing it or I could damage some key components??? He also said that if my fly wheel is spinning and turning when I am trying to remove it then it is bad?? Not sure if I should believe that or not.

Anyway, I thought I would ask the Pros here before I possibly dive into something catastrophic. From what you all have explained it doesn't seem like too big of a project, or at least that is what I am hoping.

Thanks for the help.

bronc fly wheel.JPG ignition coil wire.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks a million for the help guys. Chris the video was very helpful in removing the flywheel.

I used an impact driver to remove the lug nut then a puller to remove the flywheel. I left the nut on a little bit while removing the flywheel with the puller to prevent it from flying across the room and potentially damaging the fins. It worked well. This is where I am at now. So is the entire thing the ignition coil? Do I remove the two bolts to remove the entire thing? Or which part needs to be replaced?

IMG_1291.JPG IMG_1292.JPG