Tec/Lauson info

This motor came on a lil Indian I just purchased. :helpsmilie:Anyone got any info they can pass along. One member said early 60's I don't have any mini bikes that old. Thanks

capguncowboy

judging by the cover over the carb/intake, I'm going to say it wasn't originally a mini bike engine. Lauson made engines into the 70s, well after the Tecumseh acquisition, but I'm unsure how to decipher the numbers to indicate an exact year of production

markus

HB30 should be a ball bearing supported sidecover, 3hp. In the late 50's they were still using the forced feed lubrication on those that Lauson (not Tecumseh) designed before Tecumseh bought them. Not sure if the oil pump stayed standard on that style engine or not throughout the run, I think tecumseh used that engine style till about '62/63 then changed to what is more common on the mini bikes of the later 60's. I would say the engine around a 1960.

Last edited:
Not much information on those engines. I have searched and searched. I have 2 of those. The one engine is a parts donor for the other.:laugh: My engine is going on my Rupp Dart.:thumbsup:

I have at least 3 of those and you can get a pretty good date on them from the carb. Plus I know the Simplicity Snow Blower 2 of them came off of was a 1961. Their first. Mine have Tillotson E7A and E8A. They were made from 1959- 60 Should be 1960. Also in the Tecumseh Master parts manual they have the full breakdown and I think the date range given was 1959 - 1963. But I'd have to check.

Thanks everyone for your interest in buying the motor. The line is getting longer! I've received some PMs also. I plan on holding onto to it. Just need the right frame.