Tecumseh 8hp ID help.

I'm going to look at a 8hp Tec for my Super Bronc tonight. Can anyone tell me how I can tell if it is a ball bearing engine or a bushed engine without tearing it apart?

Thanks for the help.
Jerry...

markus

quickest way withough numbers is to look at the sidecover, A ball Bearing supported Medium frame will have 2 threded rod ends with nuts inset around the PTO seal:

(note this is a late model style cover)

A bushing engine will not:

(note this early style, and you can see the casting on the outside is there where the bearing retainers go on a BB model)

If it is ball bearing you want to make sure its not an HHM80 unless you want the extra weight, The HM's are like 45 pounds the cast iron HHM's are like 63 :scared:

2SlickNick

I have an 8hp tecemseh with ball bearing... it's in pieces right now under my bench.

I have been thinking about selling it, because I just can't find the time to work on it.

Excuse me, while I hi-jack this post....:laugh:

I have a couple questions regarding these.

I'm alway's looking for motors to buy, for 'just in case'...and I came across, and bought 2, 8 hp tecumseh's and one 10 hp tecumseh. I know the 10 hp is cast iron, but it is electric start, was a good buy, and I didn't have one.

My question regards the difference in a ball bearing motor, or a bushing motor. Sounds like the bb motor would 'last' longer so to speak, but are the 'bushing' motors not desirable..?

And regarding the original motors on the bigger mini or utility bikes, like the original 8 hp on my VT-8 Super Bronc...I can't see it's side cover, but I imagine it's a bushing motor isn't it ?

Thanks y'all.....:thumbsup:

Last edited: