tecumseh carburetor cleaning

ELT

I'm working on the carburetor for a 4hp engine. The carburetor has a check ball in the main nozzle. The ball keeps sticking. I get it free so you can hear it rattle when you shake the carb. The engine runs and when I shut it off the ball is stuck again and it won't start. Pull the carburetor and free up the ball and it runs again. I have soaked the carburator overnight and the ball is still not staying free. Has anybody had any sucess removing and cleaning that foot valve? Any tricks for polising the check ball?

Take your ball from the check, put in a small vial/jar, add a bunch of .177 cal bb's, shake it for some time, maybe add a solvent, acetone, etc...shake gently to not dent ball, can you get a q-tip down the tube, maybe with some solvent as well to break up varnish?. I wish you the best, how frustrating it must be....

ELT

This is the old iaphram carb so there is no tube, just the cage. The ball doesnt come out. I did take a little piece of 14 gauge braided wire and striped it back a little bit, then I could stick the uncovered wires in the valve from the bottom and contact the ball. I chucked the wire in my cordless drill and spun the piss out of it held lightly against the ball. No glorry. Some times it rattles and sometimes it don't.

MB165

Strip it down and try putting it in some boiling water, the high temp is good at melting any varnish in those unreachable passages.

In 2 words- "Ultrasonic Cleaner". We bought one (HF) about 6 months ago and the difference/results are astounding!:thumbsup: Make sure, however, and only use a cleaning solution specifically formulated for carb cleaning for best results.
Michael

ELT

I found sombody with a ultasonic parts cleaner and droped it off yesterday. I pick it up to day. I hope this does the trick.

There is no ball.. The rattle is a small tube inside the idle emulsion tube.. Some rattle, some don't even have that piece..

No check ball..

Rattle or no rattle means nothing at all..

ELT

There is no ball.. The rattle is a small tube inside the idle emulsion tube.. Some rattle, some don't even have that piece..

No check ball..

Rattle or no rattle means nothing at all..
Some carbs have the ball and some don't. I have a old chiltons small engine manuel that shows the ball in a cut away view and discribes it as main nozzle check ball (if present). It is in my carburetor. I did the sonic parts cleaning on it and haven't put it back on the engine yet.