Tecumseh HM100 valve guides

WLB

What's the best solution for repairing worn out valve guides in an HM100? Tecumseh manual calls for reaming the guides to an oversize and using valves with oversize stems. Those valves are no longer obtainable. I could ream out the guides and install sleeves if I could find some readily available 5/16th sleeves.

See my reply toward the end of the thread entitled "HS40 First Timer". They just MIGHT be removable and you could have new ones made!
Michael

Briggs made guides for 1/4 and 5/16 valve steems. They also sell the valve service toolkit to removè and replace the guides. You could proba ly use them.

MB165

both ways will work, going with briggs guides gives you a way to replace quickly in the future.
I used briggs guides in a few h35 and hs40s, it works out very nice. Tecumseh guides are hard, the briggs reamer wouldn't cut into it. I ended up buying some automotive machine shop reamers which cut in easily.

WLB

Thanks guys. I did try to remove the stock guide by running a tap into it and heating the block with a propane torch but the guide didn't want to move. I have the E Z Bore kit for Briggs 1/4 inch guide replacement and can make something similar for the 5/16 inch guide sleeves but haven't found 5/16 sleeves in less than 100 quantity.

I checked eBay for 5/16 inch Briggs sleeves but everything is listed by part number. Does anyone know what the Briggs part number is for the 5/16 valve guide sleeves?

MB165

I think any of the old aluminum twins 40/42cu inch (402707 maybe??) and anything over 8hp/ 170000 for the singles an ex guide is key #871

WLB

I received the three 5/16 Briggs guides. Briggs part number for the 5/16 guides is 231218.

The guides measure .368. I would think a .366 reamer would be right to get a good shrink fit. I found a solid carbide .366 reamer for $60 on Amazon. Seems excessive to do one engine. I may try to make my own reamer.

MB165

see if you can get a reamer that has a 5/16 pilot /leade-in. im sure theres something available in automotive machining circles
the briggs reamer is 19231, I think its for soft metals only

Last edited: