Tecumseh Lighting Question

Tecumseh Lighting Coil & Related Parts Question
Can the needed parts be added to a standard H40?
Can they still be bought new? Or ? :shrug:

I have used the coil system out of a 12 horse vertical shaft engine, put into an HS50.. Most the coils will swap back and forth.. They are different, but as long as the plug wire is long enough to get where you are going, got the rite points parts for the motor, it should work..

Flywheels are a whole other matter.. Different engines use different flywheels.. You gotta have a flywheel with a ring of magnets around the inside of the wheel for the lights to work..

If you have an H-40, it uses the H40 through H70 flywheel, and the smaller taper OF THOSE flywheels..

HS40 and 50 has about 4 different taper sizes to the crank shaft where the flywheel mates up..

The H40 - 70 has like at least 3 different sizes it can be..

http://www.oldminibikes.com/forum/tecumseh-engines/58774-tecumseh-6-horse-lighted-system.html

there used to be HS40 lighted flywheels NOS parts still available.. They were running around 125 to 150 dollars.. I haven't seen any in a while.. Those were the actual aluminum minibike flywheels.. I'm not sure if Tecumseh ever made a lighted iron wheel for the HS engines.. I made one myself, and I've seen others.. I do not see why they wouldn't make one, but never seen one I am sure tecumseh manufactured..

If you want to light one, best bet is to find out what flywheel you need, then advertise for one..

Those lighting coil conversion kits are for late model Tecumseh engines with the external coil,they wont work on an older points motor which im sure thats what the H40 is.The Kid knows what he's talking about with this kind of thing.

markus

I'm not sure if Tecumseh ever made a lighted iron wheel for the HS engines.
They did, in 1973 the HS40's and 50's were the first to get the square shroud conversions with the steel flywheels you can find them on the Rupp Roadster 2's 73-75

you can see the differences between the '71 swinger and 75 roadster 2 I had earlier this year:

These steel Flywheels break the magnets loose pretty easy on a 30-40 year old abused engine so its a good idea if you are going to "go through" one do a little tapping and prying on the magnets and the spacers when you have it apart for service.

The smaller bore engines (with the different taper cranks) held out on the curved top design into 1974/75 but they quit using the ID tag, changed the throttle control, and stamped the number on the top of the shroud but the AL flywheels were still being used, of course at that point "mini bikes" were dead and just about anything that was running Lights was going to be a bigger bike to compete with the mini trails and spoke wheels so they got at least a 4 hp.

now that were are off track....the to original poster are you looking for info on an H40 or HS40, as they are 2 totally different sized engines!!!

They did, in 1973 the HS40's and 50's were the first to get the square shroud conversions with the steel flywheels you can find them on the Rupp Roadster 2's 73-75

The smaller bore engines (with the different taper cranks) held out on the curved top design into 1974/75 but they quit using the ID tag, changed the throttle control, and stamped the number on the top of the shroud but the AL flywheels were still being used, of course at that point "mini bikes" were dead and just about anything that was running Lights was going to be a bigger bike to compete with the mini trails and spoke wheels so they got at least a 4 hp.
Thats kinda what I figured.. The only one i had ever seen in question was the later model square top, I caught a backside angle of the engine and could see a piece of the flywheel sticking out.. It looked pretty damned original to me, old beat up CL bike..

I know they quit building the AL wheels into the 70's, and to light one all you'd have to do is ad more magnets, as the HS wheels are nice and rounded on the inside..

we are not off track, we are exactly on track, this is what he is trying to find out... :laugh:

we need a pic of your motor... I would venture to guess you have an HS40 as they are far more common than H40...

Is the intake port on the flywheel side or crankshaft side???

The engine on this bike is an H40 4HP Tecumseh,they are the smallest of the big block Tecumseh engines and are not very common.The H40-H70 engine block is the same just different bore and stroke.So if yours is an H40 keep this in mind when looking for lighting coil parts.

The old Skat Kitty and Rupp Electras were 2.5's and 3.5's with lights.. They used aluminum wheels..

I've never seen a lighted H35 iron wheel either, but don't see why not..

BUT, I don't know what you would need one for, other than maybe a minibike.. But again, it's like Marcuss pointed out, they were pretty well fizzling by then, and you'd just have a square top HS if anything.. :shrug:

The old Skat Kitty and Rupp Electras were 2.5's and 3.5's with lights.. They used aluminum wheels..

I've never seen a lighted H35 iron wheel either, but don't see why not..

BUT, I don't know what you would need one for, other than maybe a minibike.. But again, it's like Marcuss pointed out, they were pretty well fizzling by then, and you'd just have a square top HS if anything.. :shrug:
That Cat Wildcat has the original H35. It's a spoked ten inch wheel bike. I can get a title with the serial number, take it to the DMV and get it registered as an on/off road vehicle, get a plate for it, and ride it all over town legally. Cost me less than $50 to get it all nice and legal. Be nice to keep the motor on it original and have it street legal.

Just did some homework, and yes, it's about impossible to find a full magnet H or even HS flywheel for the internal coil/points motors. And even if I did find it, those mag set goes for around $100.

For me, LED and small lithium batteries are the best. For the Rupp guys, I guess they just keep their eyes open and pay the big bucks for the right flywheels. Or settle for a newer IC (Power Sport) set up and try and make it look old, then get a kit from Rupp parts.