Tecumseh ohh60

I have an old Tecumseh ohh60 that is on a mini bike and has not been ran in a long time. I drained the oil put in fresh put gas in it and fired right up. Kinda seemed like it was bogging and surging but ran good sometimes. Shut it off and the entire tank of gas ended up on the ground since it was leaking out of the air filter side. I pulled the bowl off and took the float off and it must have a hole in the float because there is gas in there. Anyway, should I replace just the float, the complete carb (most likely with a cheap $15 one on ebay), or the whole motor (most likely with a hf predator 212) since I have read that these motors are pretty much junk. Thanks for any input

125ccCrazy

those are not junk engines, they are not the best choice for a performance build but for a dependable rider they are fine.. I'd replace the carb with an adjustable carb...if memory serves me right the one I had was a fixed jet..

I've got the 5hp version of that engine. It always sucked with the stock primer bulb carb-hard to start and poor running. I bought a carb off amazon with a real choke. Now it's a great engine that starts and runs well. I would replace the whole carb if I was you.

I to have a ohh 50 what's the difference between the ohh 50 and the 60 motor I got mine for $15 put gas in it and it fired up but was hard to start got a $16 carb off ebay with a choke now it starts right up in 1-2 pulls . the carb I got is fixed what adjustable carb to get thanks Ken

Thanks guys. When I search Tecumseh ohh60 carb on eBay only the primer ball version comes up... Anyone have a link to a cheap one with a choke?

markus

either just let it vent into the atmoshpere or drill a hole in the air cleaner base and route it into there. The older engines had a 90 degree bent vent tube that stuck it downward, routing it back into the carb is an EPA/emissions thing.

So I found a carb with adjustable jets. Do I need to have it rejetted to put a cone filter and robertson's torque pipe on it or will I just need to adjust the jets?

either just let it vent into the atmoshpere or drill a hole in the air cleaner base and route it into there. The older engines had a 90 degree bent vent tube that stuck it downward, routing it back into the carb is an EPA/emissions thing.
So I have an 11hp tecumseh with adjustable carb but it leaks gas out of the carb and backfires a little. It had a small tube going from the carb to the primer button on the engine shroud so I just put a small screw in it to block it off... is that why my carb is leaking gas??? I was about to adjust the tab on the float...

So I found a carb with adjustable jets. Do I need to have it rejetted to put a cone filter and robertson's torque pipe on it or will I just need to adjust the jets?
Since the smart guys aren't chiming in with what that screw does, I'll guess it's for the low speed side- since that's where Tec generally puts them on their other carbs. LOL, a guess.

That other carb with the bottom screw- that is where they put the high speed side. Like Markus says, the jets are fixed, but since the needle is tapered, the effective size of the orifice is changed by moving the needle in or out.

The thing is, an air filter and a less restrictive pipe are not huge changes. For the inexpensive price of admission (less than 20 bucks) I'd get the thing, make my modifications and see what happens. As Chad said on the Face Book post, you probably wont need a heck of a lot of adjustment to make this work.

There is no re-jetting on these. There is drilling, but it wont do as much as moving that needle out of the existing hole will.