Tecumseh

Hello I'm new to this forum but I have a desperate question ......im trying to fix my friends mini bike ..it's an old whirlwind with a Tecumseh 4 horse
it only runs with choke on and doesn't rev up I notice that the carb has 2 hoses for the carb .. 1 is gas (obviously) the other I'm assuming is some sort of vacuum coming from the block. now ..big question .I cant find carb kits for it anywhere near me , could i block off that other hose and use another style carb ? thank you !!!! or should I just transplant my 5 horse Honda motor from a pressure washer

Ours had an H40. The Tec service manual available on line was always easy to navigate. Unfortunately we ended-up with a Honda on ours for a more Clown Friendly powerplant. All the Ladder Company Vent Fans have Honda powerplants.

Vewdew47, If the fitting is smaller than the fuel line and is located on the choke end of the carb, it is more than likely supposed to have a small diameter hose hooked up with the other end hooked up to a primer plunger/bulb. It sounds like your carb needs to come apart for a good cleaning or check Hent.com for a replacement.

Without seeing a picture, I do believe that hose coming from the breather on the back of the block should be going into the base of the air filter housing. Just leave it alone. It is not causing any trouble.

joshua. c.

the second hose is from the primer bulb, it was stated eraler. It has no affect on running other that helping start the bike. as far as not running right as long as it has a float bowl most of the time you an get away with cleaning it without a rebuilder kit just drop the bowl clean it, clean the jets and re assemble. The only time you realy need the kit is if the bowl seal or the main jet seal ( seal on main jet screw in bottom of carb) go bad. Also check for any rust in the bowl I've had repeat running issues with rusty carb bowls once they start to rust they cause issues, just replace the bowl at that point.

Replacement tecumseh carbs are plentifull on ebay and most of the time they are as cheep or cheeper than a rebuilder kit. If you dont know how to work on them this may be a good option.

carb is not correct.it looks like its from a enduro ohv the second fitting is for breather hose that goes to valve cover.Just get a correct replacement carb there under $20

joshua. c.

o sory I overlooked the picture. yea if that carb isn't origenal there is no guarantee it will run right even when clean, My adice would be just buy the correct one from ebay.

Keep in mind that those $ 20.00 China-Made Tecumseh "lookalike" carbs on eBay that veryone is mentioning are kind of a hit and miss. I would say that about 1/2 of the ones I've purchased either do not run at all, do not run right/cannot be tuned, or leak- Just saying.

DaddyJohn

Keep in mind that those $ 20.00 China-Made Tecumseh "lookalike" carbs on eBay that veryone is mentioning are kind of a hit and miss. I would say that about 1/2 of the ones I've purchased either do not run at all, do not run right/cannot be tuned, or leak- Just saying.
I’ve had better luck than that, though they aren’t generally adjusted correctly right out of the box.