That doesnt look right!

wjustice

It isnt supposed to come apart like that. Ther should be a snap-ring in the axle groove and you split the diff to remove it.

wjustice

Um yeah except the strap mounts that hold the bearings were broken too. Someone tried to shim them, i guess to tighten in the mounts. My guess is that this had a bit of a hard life in the past.

Wow "W" that could have been disastrous ....
Wonder if the last person that worked on it finished up and said "wonder where this snap ring came from?" hahaha

wjustice

No snap-ring inside when i took it apart. Soo all is good. Bushings are worn and something chewed on the edges of the axle gears but I think they are fine. Welds are cracked on the axle flanges. Reweld, new lube, new sprockets, new bearings on the axle and reassemble. All should be good.

No snap-ring inside when i took it apart. Soo all is good. Bushings are worn and something chewed on the edges of the axle gears but I think they are fine. Welds are cracked on the axle flanges. Reweld, new lube, new sprockets, new bearings on the axle and reassemble. All should be good.
Glad you're able to get everything sorted out. Will be posting pics along the way?

Shawn

wjustice

Yeah I'll try to remember to take some as i reassemble. Not sure how soon I'll get to finish it. I don't recall many holton diff pics on here, most are peerless.

The one and only time I took apart my Holton differential was on the way back home from a Trike in Ava, Missouri they called the RUN TO THE HILLS my left axle pulled out of the differential because I used the wrong type of 1 inch bearings they did not have the cam lock they only had set screws and the side loads pulled the short stub axle out. Well I stopped in a machine shop in Kansas City , Mo and bought the right bearings and found out that the factory ( Alsport or Holton ) braised the inside snap ring to the axle. So I did the same and it never was a issue again.
Steve

wjustice

Well this is in a TS. After looking i think it either pulled out or had a bearing failure of some kind. The snap-ring is gone and the housing where the bushing go is cut short like it was damaged. It still looks ok and was working. So I'm just gonna reassemble like it is.

wjustice

Reassembly

Reassembly!
New bearings, shaft collars(just in case), disc brakes install

Axle gears and new snap-rings

Spider? gears and springs

Bentonite!

Case halfs together, it took a couple of tries to get it without dropping pieces inside. NOS sprocket

Ready to go back in