The “Rare” CAT Twister Trike

Yeah, I think Dale Jr. said it when he got his 2nd gen pro touring camaro featured in Hot Rod mag "the first scrath will be the hardest, but all the scracthes after that will come easy" that is so true.

thank you my fellow CAT owner :thumbsup:

I finally got that damn aluminum tape to stick tonight after much hand wringing....I used the advice offered and carefully removed the original glue using that "Goof-Off" product...stunk up the hole basement :doah:

re-applied the Welwood contact cement as directed and presto!! You couldn't get that tape off with a jackhammer now :thumbsup:

getting there.......:shifty:

The paint is really crazy !!! :eek:hmy:

...everytime I take a picture of it, it looks a different color....it even looks like it has a "reddish" hue to it sometimes :eek:ut:

I shoulda called it the "Chameleon"........did I spell that right?

Looks awesome! I love how the paint looks totally different in each image. I do have one question though... What the he** is a "basement"??? Haha!
basement is where you go when the garage is too damn cold and damp to work in.......:sad:

this is right next to the furnace room so I'm working in a T-shirt like it's SoCal...:pimp:

there's only one flaw in the plan though....we're gonna have to pull the front end back off the bike to get it upstairs :doah:

basement is where you go when the garage is too damn cold and damp to work in.......:sad:

this is right next to the furnace room so I'm working in a T-shirt like it's SoCal...:pimp:

there's only one flaw in the plan though....we're gonna have to pull the front end back off the bike to get it upstairs :doah:

Haha! Hey, I totally understand. I've built Honda FL250 Odyssey's inside spare bedrooms.

Good job on the tank! I'm glad you got it worked out. Looks fantastic.

I have used the HOK Candy lime gold several times painting my bikes. and the color is Antifreeze green, that's how i discribe it anyway ! But your correct. depending on the light it changes color, Very hard to get it to show up in pictures.

>>> Ok, more paint talk while there is a break in the action....

Here is the KBC02 shot over silver base as per the House of Color recomendation :

as you can see...pretty close but not exactly right...depending on the lighting and the angle you hold it to the light source it varys between "lime green" and "neon green"...for the hell of it I even shot it over some different color primers but couldn't get a match......:mad:

The paint chip that I saw in the House of Color catalog that looked like an exact match was:

(5) coats of Kandi UK02/KK2 Over BC12 (silver base)

there...now you all have the secret code :shifty:

It would be really helpful to future restorers if somebody could buy a pint and give this a try...I would do it but I ran out of money :shrug:

markus

man I had the scariest wreck in my life on a Honda Odyssey back in '79 or '80....almost broke my damn neck....but that's a story for another day.

We had a '76 odyssey when I was a kid. Friggin' deathtrap! Always felt like a Carnival ride attendant when strapping people into it for their first ride "Keep your hands and feet inside the mixer AT ALL TIMES!!!!" rider: "how come the gas and brake is on the wheel?" me with evil grin: "you'll see"

Trike is lookin' great no matter what color it is:wink:

IT IS Green Correct??? The second pic makes it look gold....
Love that trike!! All of you pics are teasers, keep us in suspense!
I'm not sure what color it is.....:laugh:...actually that last shot above is a pretty close representation of how it looks in person...maybe a little greener :rolleyes:

Those of you who have tuned in from the begining will rememeber how I decided to run a bigger wheel on the front and how proud we subsequently were of the 10" "CAT" wheel we spent a week custom building........:smile:

well we scrapped the idea !! :doah:

I just never warmed up to it...:no: not to sound like a broken record but it just wasn't "factory" looking.....I hated the space between the star and the rims edge....

I located another CAT wheel for the front and extended the lower forks to re-establish the same "rake" or stance.......

Last edited:
Next to wrestling alligators, walking barefoot on hot coals and juggling chainsaws, it's hard to beat the fun you have when buying parts from George3 :doah:

I must admit though...the parts he sold me from that "Cali Born" Hustler were all sweet pieces..:drool:..this front rim literally did not have a pit or blemish inside or out !!

of course that did not stop my OCD from kicking in...:eek:ut:....light hand sanding, polish the edges in the lathe, clear coat and spray the centers semi-gloss black.....:freakout:

Thennnnnn...scrub the tire tube with hot soapy water....rub down the tube and the inside of the tire with Armor-All...coat the inside of the tire and tube with talcom powder...

Polish the stars, bolt heads, and nuts......recondition the front bearings... assemble and air it up...:eek:ut:

Rub down the outside of the tire with Armor-All......then go lay on the couch from exhaustion.... :doah:

no wonder I've been working on this stupid thing for a year...I spent a day on the front wheel and tire and they were in great shape to start with....:facepalm:

Last edited:
If your afraid to scratch it on the test ride, call me. I can wreck anything lol.
Good call on the front wheel. I admire your perseverance to get this bike just right or "factory fresh"

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk