The "BEAST" GX340 drag bike

Well I am back at it, I got a nice little project for the next few months. I got this frame free, and the motor for an awesome price. This is my build log to show you guys my progress, and to keep me on track. This is my first drag bike build so any ideas will be greatly greatly appreciated.

this is the frame I have, I believe its a ruttman (????) that somebody may have extended (not sure they came like that). First plans are to sand it down to make sure all the welds and such are still good. then I will work on welding up some frame support, and I believe I am going to mount an engine plate a little further back on the frame, and use the original engine plate as a place to mount a fuel tank.
I am also going to be mounting up a jack shaft due to the 11hp motor being so wide.

And here is the heart of the beast. Currently it is stock but that wont be for long. first plans are the basic exhaust and intake upgrades. more plans to come. Not sure if i wanna run alcy or gas, not really sure the benefit of one or the other.

Dont worry I will clean up the motor and all. It runs that is all that matters to me right now.

Let me know you thoughts.
whats a good steel thickness to use for an engine plate, and frame support?

Haven't you have been trying to sell that on Craigslist for a couple months now? Advertised as a Ruttman stretch....:shrug:. Cause it started its life as a Ruttman...but has been waaaaay stretched. What did they use to join the halfs? solid tube? 7/8 hollow? It all matters when it comes to bracing for that size motor.

I haven't been trying to sale it i actually got it on a trade from a guy on craigslist, not sure if its the same one but i got a great deal. according to him it is solid tube inserted into both halves about 3-4 inches in (i will check that once I find the weld spots to check how it was extended). That is my main concern though don't want the frame snapping on me. Putting a few cross members and another plate along the bottom of the frame should strengthen it up a bit too.

Sweet man. I'm getting ready to start on my own 11hp clone drag bike. I'm definitely going to run a jackshaft because the motor is so wide, I'd have to have it hanging way off to the right to get a decent chain line without one. I'll be starting a build thread soon.

Got a lot of work done over the weekend. I got the motor and jack shaft mounted and did a couple test runs (pics will be up later) next thing on agenda is figuring out the brake situation. I cant afford a good hydro brake yet so im stuck with using a band brake. Problem is the engine is so wide on the frame the clutch sticks out pretty far and i rather not have the band there. as a solution i am going to take an idea I found on another post and weld an old clutch together so its solid and doesn't spin freely and mount it on the jack shaft with a band brake. we will see...
here are a few pics of the freshly painted block.:scooter:

:wink:

If you want a pre-fab solution for brakes..I have the 5/8 jackshaft pucks and bands. It is a 2 1/2 in puck with a 2 1/2 small clutch band brake.

aww man that would have been great but my jack shaft is 3/4.......Thanks anyway.

Here are some pics of the finished rattle can job on the engine to match the frame. Should have it all back together by the weekend.

:scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter::scooter:

joekd

You know the shut off switch pops right off so you could of removed it before painting the shroud

Looks good though, is that Rustoleum "aluminum" color I see :thumbsup:

joekd-yeah i know about the switch I dont use it, what could I use to plug the hole? and the paint is Duplicolor engine paint from the auto store, Its semi-gloss black and aluminum. I also sanded the heat sinks I think it looks good for a rattle can job on the balcony of my apt. lol