The Elio is in Indiana this weekend

WLB

The Elio is on display at the Greenwood Mall just south of Indianapolis this weekend. We went down last night to check it out. I have wanted one since I first saw them but since I had to sell the race car and the Starfire because I couldn't get in them without great discomfort I had reservations about putting down a deposit on something that appeared to be very small and low.

I was allowed to get in the car and I can say that in spite of how low it is it is easier to get in and out of than my Blazer or Suburban. Both my son and I were impressed with the engineering. As soon as we got home I put my $1000 deposit on one. Should be in line about 18,700. Delivery should be early 2018 unless this whole thing turns out to be a Tucker. I hope the doctors can keep me alive long enough to actually get it and have a few years to enjoy it.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I might have to make a trip down to Louisiana to check out their production facility. It is being set up by the same company that has set up production lines for Chrysler, Fiat, and some European cars. They claim the recent stock offering brought in enough money that they can proceed without government money.

Forgot to mention, the body is made out of fiberglass--it won't rust.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

https://www.eliomotors.com

Congratulations WLB !

Those are so cool.

I hope they are on the way to turn this situation around. We all know the technology is there for higher mileage vehicles, that up to this point has been squelched by companies and concerns with too many ties to oil profit.

Go Elio Go !!! :thumbsup:

Higher mileage in all of the new cars is great but do all new cars have to be so horribly ugly?
Or what about actual options? Seems like today's cars are : "well that's what we have, take it or leave it".

WLB

I would agree Steve, they have moved slower than their initial projections but it can't be easy getting prototypes made, improving on each one, getting funding, and setting up an assembly line for a completely new concept. Not to mention dealing with government regulations.

I'm not too concerned about the gas mileage, I would buy one if it got 40 mpg. I've always liked the three wheeled cars. That's why I built this one around 1980. http://www.wlbsite.com/photos/albums/old/car28229.jpg
I've been considering building another one for the last year but just not sure the old body (me) is up to the task any more. Haven't even built a new mini for two years now.

Yes, a lot of the new cars are too ugly to own and I refuse to buy a car that has directional stability control, that will park itself, drive itself, shake the steering wheel if you change lanes too slow (the car thinks you have fallen asleep), or puts on the brakes for you.

Yes, a lot of the new cars are too ugly to own and I refuse to buy a car that has directional stability control, that will park itself, drive itself, shake the steering wheel if you change lanes too slow (the car thinks you have fallen asleep), or puts on the brakes for you.
^^^ Agreed.

WLB

The Elio is nothing like the Dale. I don't think the Elio is a hoax. I bet a $1000 it isn't:blink: But I will fully admit that it is a gamble. Mass producing a totally new automobile in the United States is a HUGE undertaking.

after reading the elio website,it certainly does appear to be a scam of some form.
so far according to their stats they have 50k buyers lined up??

im not so sure....esp considering their partner is the Onion,a news/media site that exaggerates Quite a bit.

also,so far ive searched the web and found one,yes one prototype.
how exactly do you safety test these with only one prototype and then declare you are ramping to full production in a year?
it sure doesnt look like that protos been crash tested to me....

you might want to dig a bit deeper?

MikeBear

It's a scam, pure and simple. There's no way these guys will ever get this off the ground, if they haven't already after all this time...

They might truly have thought and believed they could pull it off originally, but I just don't see it happening, ever.