the hog

Not to be an old stick in the mud, but to me a Sportster isn't a Harley. Guess I'm too old school. My brother had a Sportster, and his friend had a SuperGlide. Different as day and night in the way they rode and handled. The SuperGlide was much more refined, and the shift was on the right side to boot.:smile:

My buddy had an 03' 883 sportster and was a nice driving bike, Good bike for beginners or someone who doesnt want to spend alot. Then he bought an 07' softail custom efi and that thing was nice and smooth. I wont buy one as I would end up getting rid of it anyways.

Oldsalt

A Sportster isn't old school? Good grief, they've been making them since Indy cars had skinny tires and the earth was still cooling. And K models and etc. before that. Refined? Hell no, thank god. I don't have lace on MY shorts so refined is not an issue. I don't currently have a Sportser, just a couple of FLs, but I like Sportsters and am looking for an Iron Head. Like the big twin they don't sound like a retard humming in a jar like the rice grinders.

Anyone that thinks a Sportster is a "beginners" bike has never had on.

It must be a location thing. He got so much crap about that bike he hated it more and more. He called up JC Whitney one day and was loooking for one of those mini style sissy bars for it and the lady asked if it was his wifes bike, He slammed the phone down and said thats it. Next time I talked to him he had the softail in his garage, Yes he has that macho attitude problem.

Then comes my story, When he got his sporty I really like it and "talked" about getting one and some guys at work heard me and started laughing and said they arent that great and a sporty is a sporty no matter what you do to it or if its the 883 or 1200 or whatever size you beef it up too.

Personally I like the old sportys and I have a chance to get one (in pieces) but now isnt the time for it. I have nothing against sportys, just sharing what goes around here on them.

the only TC Harley i'd consider owning is an FXDX.

here's the beginning of a badass Sportster my roommate built (that's the guy that owns it in the pic). it has a seriously built 1200 in it and is running on 110. unfortunately i never got any pics of it finished. that bike spent 6 months in our garage.

that bike was hahahahaing wicked once it was finished.

the second pic is what a bike looks like after someone pulls out in front of you, takes off, takes their car to Sacramento, sets it on fire and then reports it stolen. the guys front plate was stuck behind the right rear shock (something didn't belong on a Harley, 3rd pic). i just came across it while looking for the Sporty pic and carnage is always neat. the rider (one of our old techs) ended up with a broken femur, he's totally fine now.

Last edited:
He called up JC Whitney one day and was loooking for one of those mini style sissy bars for it and the lady asked if it was his wifes bike, He slammed the phone down
Hahahaha, Sorry guys but I was thinking the same thing! It's either your first entry/beginner Harley or your wife's. I giggle when I see someone all dressed up trying to look bad ass on one. :doah:

And whats up with cushy soft tails? Get a Honda!

(ducking for cover!) :thefinger:

the ones that are worth laughing at are the HOG members. $30,000 and a spiffy vest don't make you a biker.

the only clubs i have any respect for are the real bikers (like the East Bay Dragons or the 1%ers).

i remember a couple of years ago 2 Mongols showed up at our dealership. within 15 minutes there were 2 HA's there (we are in HA territory). they were civil and ended up hanging out with each other for a few hours. the one Mongol was having problems with his bike and just wanted to get it fixed so it was ok.

all of us did the "oh shit" thing when we saw the HA's roll up. :laugh:

i think i've only come across one HA member that was an asshole for no reason in my 8 years of working at the dealership. i wouldn't hahahaha with any of them but they're generally nice guys in my experience (when dealing with them 1 on 1).

Not to be an old stick in the mud, but to me a Sportster isn't a Harley...:smile:
Yeah, they've only been making them since, what, 1957? Maybe in a few more years they'll seem like the real deal. When I was thinking about a new street bike, I told a Harley rider I work with that I was looking at Sportsters. His reply was "Aw, that's a girl's bike!". I thought that was a dumb remark. After I actually got to ride one, I bought something else. I wanted more performance and higher quality than the HD could deliver. I still think they look cool, though, and HD will always have a lock on mile dirt track racing. There's nothing like seeing the field blast past the grandstands and charge into the first turn at the Springfield Mile . :thumbsup:

tomsprops

I rode my GF's 883 sporty when I was in between bikes . It was a little under powered for me . Also the engine was solid mounted to the frame which caused alot of vibration at freeway speeds . But It was still better than Talking about riding !
HD has spent $ $ $ $ $ redesigning the Sportster line . It's a whole new bike ! I rode a "Nitester "for a recent commercial and it was Bad A** ! It reminded me of my FXR's ! The 1200 was lite ,Fast and really well balanced ! HD made all of the rite changes to the line I would recommend the new sporty's to anyone ! Changed for the Better !