the largest flathead?

KB2ROCKET

who makes the largest single cylinder L head aka Flathead horizontal shaft air cooled industrial engine past or present?

As far as mass produced I would have to guess Kohler followed by maybe Wisconsin. I assume you mean largest as far as most advertised HP. The Wisconsin probably out weighs the Kohlers ie: better boat anchor.

KB2ROCKET

well it kida goes hand in hand as far as horse power but I was mainly refering to physical size im working on a project that requires a large looking engine and I prefer it was a flathead

A Kohler K341 is about 17" tall and like 12" square where as the Wisconsin is 19" tall and just a fuzz narrower. Wisconsin model is AENL. I just happen to be looking at them both if you want exact dimensions.

the biggest i can think of a e4 Wisconsin 4 cylinder , the next a e2? Wisconsin 2 cylinder .
well at least in motors you could lift that is , seem some huge one lung hit and miss air cooled motors

the largest flathead motor past or present.

Briggs made the biggest they made many 17hp single cylinder and for 1 year a 20 hp single cylinder if you are gonna restore or get a motor for a mini bike use Briggs there strong good engines with so much power you can spin rims inside tires.

the biggest i can think of a e4 Wisconsin 4 cylinder , the next a e2? Wisconsin 2 cylinder .
well at least in motors you could lift that is , seem some huge one lung hit and miss air cooled motors
Yeah, I saw a video on youtube of a Wisconsin Air Cooled V-4 engine.
It was rebuild and made 65hp (V465). Sounds Awesome !!!!

You should be able to find them.. There were millions of them made.. Look around antique tractor websites.. Economy used the 14 horse Wisconsin single cylinder engines.. Those things are massive..

i think maby a engine that would have been used on a buildge pump on
a boat or barge or a sewage sludge pump?? maby if you look up marine
bildge pumps ? :smile:

I have a big ole flathead motor, it has a 1 1/8" diameter output shaft and an external magneto. I haven't messed with it since the guy gave it to me. As a matter of fact, I haven't even moved it, its heavy it should have come with a hernia belt! I'll get a picture next time I get out there.

I have a big ole flathead motor, it has a 1 1/8" diameter output shaft and an external magneto. I haven't messed with it since the guy gave it to me. As a matter of fact, I haven't even moved it, its heavy it should have come with a hernia belt! I'll get a picture next time I get out there.
The Wisconsins use an external Mag..

KB2ROCKET

Did I ever tell you guys I was a mechanic at a Gravely tractor dealership in the 70's I used to work on external mag engines all the time ah yes that was back in the days of points and condencers

In what era and HP range?

The Lister L as I recall was a bit bigger than 4 inch in bore ( but very long stroke ) and I think they tipped the scales around 700 pounds....

YouTube - Starting Lister L after 40 years.

Sure you can say YA but thats like stone age stuff...
In one form or other the L or basic design derivitives remained in production untill 1982 with the last of the CS-8 coming off the line in Dursely for deomestic markets...

That much said much shorter stroke higher speed flate heads were available few make the kind of shaft snapping torque of the early letter motors from RA Lister and Son.

I'd love to see the mini you cram that beasty in.

Lister auto truck or rail truck?
YouTube - Lister Auto Truck
YouTube - Lister Railtruck gathering at Amberley Rail Gala 2008

I am an electric and diesel qualified narrow gauge motorman lol. IIf I were a rich man I would ride my little train around my house take my autotruck to the store, and use a mini to get from train to truck lol...

KB2ROCKET

:doah: Thats a Wisconsin there.. Yup, thats about what you're looking for.. Looks like that but 18 horse and about a foot taller.. :laugh:
Wow this stuff is big let me share this idea with you find a large engine like a Wisconsin then fab a old school minibike frame for it using larger diameter tubing in other words scale everything on it up to be in proportion including the seat and tires then when an adult sits in it whamo!! He looks like he's 13 years old again