The Machine

We name certain areas that we ride to around here like "The witches woods", "The pond", "Blood woods one, two, and three". So yesterday the boy and I road to a place we call "The Machine". Here is a picture of "The Machine" it is just sitting abandoned deep in the woods and looks like it has been there for decades.

[/IMG]

fistfullabar

Gotta get a picture of you on the Machine and we will have the mini's in it to. So get those bad boys running or just come over and ride one of mine.:deal:
its a deal im working all weekend and i think yer busy too but i will do a headspin on the roof of the cab so Havasu Dave can see what im talking about my frame is getting painted this weekend so just gotta get the clutch i want and im be rolling:scooter::thumbsup:

toomanytoys

We have stuff like that around ohio as well. Strip mining was huge there for many years. It's not uncommon to be walking through the woods and stumble upon a piece of machinery rotting into the ground.

There is a rather large strip pit that was never reclaimed. It is full of water. If you stand on the high wall, looking down probably a good 100 feet or so you can see the outline of a full sized Cat Loader in the middle of the pond. Story is that in the early 70s they were working this pit and were taking the last load out. A major storm came in and flooded the pit. They decided it was more work to get that machine out than it was worth to just take insurance money. So there it sits.

WLB

toomanytoys, what will you be doing in Fairmont, WV? I grew up between Fairmont and Morgantown. Graduated from Fairmont State College.

We have stuff like that around ohio as well. Strip mining was huge there for many years. It's not uncommon to be walking through the woods and stumble upon a piece of machinery rotting into the ground.
We have stuff like iron pipe gas lines running on the ground. I don't know how many times I face planted in Noble County from those :censure: things while I was deer hunting.

Doc

joshua. c.

We name certain areas that we ride to around here like "The witches woods", "The pond", "Blood woods one, two, and three". So yesterday the boy and I road to a place we call "The Machine". Here is a picture of "The Machine" it is just sitting abandoned deep in the woods and looks like it has been there for decades.

[/IMG]
it actualy looks in fairly good shape find out if that engine still turns over if it dose chances are it can be fixed. if it dose turn over find out if you can get the salvage rights or not. if you can get the rights, get it running and drive that thing home. im sure theres some company out there that woold pay a pritty peny for that.

Looks like an old scrapper or pan as some call it.Drops the belly down and scrapes dirt in with the help of a chain driving paddles.The are a pain in the neck to operate,literlly.One has to turn around constantly to watch the blade or yo see if its full.

toomanytoys

toomanytoys, what will you be doing in Fairmont, WV? I grew up between Fairmont and Morgantown. Graduated from Fairmont State College.
The company I work for Murray Energy, purchased the Consol operations of Loveridge, Blacksville, and Robinson Run. I am working out of Monongah, WV for the next 2 years on projects for these 3 mines.

I passed Fairmont State the other day when I was out riding around.

Looks like an old scrapper or pan as some call it.Drops the belly down and scrapes dirt in with the help of a chain driving paddles.The are a pain in the neck to operate,literlly.One has to turn around constantly to watch the blade or yo see if its full.
It does look like an old pan. Some of them old beast were twin engine! Front and Rear.

WLB

My dad worked for Consol as supply clerk and purchasing back in the 40's and 50's until that mine closed down.
Monongah is directly across the Monongahela River from Rivesville. If you are into "spirited" driving (that is well over the speed limit) on twisty mountain roads I can recommend some good ones. My wife and I went back there last November for two days just to run old favorite roads once again.