the trail jet i am building for my 6 year old son

hello all
here are some pix of my first minibike project. I picked it up of craigslist for $100. needs some work but i feel i did rather well. the po said its a trail jet and threw in the fuel tank and seat from some other bike. I had to fab up some mounts for the tank and have to figure out the seat mount also. after reading some of delrays post I did a little exhaust work too. using some old cycle handlebars some heat and a welder i now have a pipe out to the rear of the bike. now I have to finish it up with a muffler. thats it for now. hopefully I will get to work on it this weekend, if the weather dosnt get to cold.

delray

heintz54449,you drove all the way down to morrisonville to pick up that bike:thumbsup:if you where about 3-4 months early you could of pick up a 1970 speedway from the same guy. he had almost a complete bike(missing chain cover) for only $200

when i look at your bike, i don't remember a clutch or carb on it? did you put that on or did he?
i am glad i could help you on your exhaust. i think you will like the sound of the exhaust when you get the muffler/tailpipe on:thumbsup:
smallbikes88 did you have kbs8ball make you the seat? maybe kbs8ball can fab another one up for heintz54449? thats if heintz whats a factory seat :smile:
heintz you might want to build some tranning wheels for you son, kind of a big bike for him to learn on or you will have to just ride it until he gets about 10yrs old:thumbsup:nothing wrong with that:wink:.................:scooter:

Kenny did recover the seat but there was a seat base there. Its a metal seat pan and actually the 2 bikes i posted i sold the one with the honda push rod motor and i still have the other one. also have a ram jet which is a little longer than the trail jet. same kind of seats.

yes delray you are correct. that is the man I bought it from, a entertaining individual. it was about a 4 hour drive round trip for me and it was a beautiful day for a drive so that was no biggy. he had the carb on it. I bought the clutch and a new jackshaft kit for it. the bearings were out on the jackshaft he included and the sprockets were in rough shape so i just bought a kit. he also included a seat (pic included) that I should be able to make work. he had miss mach handlebars on it so I will have to do something there and I need to do some fenders also. now you guys are starting to scare me. some one else also mentioned that he may be to small. I will just have to try. he rides a 20" wheeled bike already drives the 4-wheeler and lawn mower on occasion so i am hoping he will pick it up quickly. unless he just isn't physically big enough, but he is tall for his age. I will put a throttle stop on it so speed is kept. on the down low. Im trying so build it without his knowledge. keeping it original is not important to me. just want it to look nice and work good when finished. thanks guys for any input it all gets filed into the dark side of my brain for future reference!
heintz54449

well its done! after putting a couple different carbs on it runs really good. have a little exhaust issue, keeps loosening up, i think cause not supported out towards the end. other than that my son and i are real pleased with the outcome. i have more pix available if someone wants to see more.