The Trail King joins the herd..

Well, my friend Jason rode with me up to Stanwood this afternoon to pick up the Trail King. Jerry McGrath was the owner, 50 years old and has had it in his family his whole life. Grandma and Grandpa owned them originally, and they've been local bikes all along too, living a lot of their time originally near Greenlake, then North Seattle (Shoreline today).

Jerry had a lot of info about the bike for me, and provided me with a dog eared small engine service manual dated from 1969, as well as a brand new rear tire for the bike (original still good but getting there), the buddy pegs for the rear passenger, and the original throttle assembly and grips should I want to put them back on at some point. The left hand grip is cut, had to be to remove it when he added the nice finned and flanged grips currently instsalled. Though the motor appears to be from the period, it is not original, according to Jerry. He says he bought it about 15 years ago, didn't say when or why the old one quit.

It started up after just a few pulls, but the throttle is a little buggered and has a completely exhausted return spring so it needs a little love in that area as well as the brake needing adjustment, and a previously mentioned recoil rope issue which I feel okay about tackling.

SIDE NOTE: The local mower shop here in Renton which sells John Deere, Stihl, and other modern stuff turns out to be a great place for me to get help. The counterman, Dan just so happens to own a Tule Trooper, and one of the mechanics, Mike, owns a Bonham Tote Gote! How happy am I? Dan handed me 6 feet of rope for the Gote and the Trail King and sent me on my way, no charge. He said he is looking forward to helping me with my bikes!

Pretty durn great day all around, and it's great to have this unique bike home with us!

I am looking forward to getting all three bikes really dialed in by this spring so we can take them camping over the summer!

I guess that RED is the house color now. I think you have just done great 2 months and two treasures not to mention the little Scooter Gote from Portland.
Steve ( Green with ENVY ) :scooter:

Thanks Steven!

I guess that RED is the house color now. I think you have just done great 2 months and two treasures not to mention the little Scooter Gote from Portland.
Steve ( Green with ENVY ) :scooter:

It HAS been a remarkable couple of months, that's for sure, Steven! I only went so bananas though because I saw YOUR garage, sir!

I guess we're doing pretty okay around here these days, lol. I'll concentrate on repairs here now for the next couple of months and probably don't see myself making any more acquisitions for a while after this. Need to get all in good riding condition.

That is, unless someone on here has seen a Spokane Built Mountaineer lately?:blush:

Cool Steve. :thumbsup:

It's nice to find a bike that old that has stayed in the family the whole time, the my red Trooper is the only bike I know for sure that was family owned. It's great you found a lawnmower shop close by that have guys that are into the same stuff and I'm sure that's going to come in handy! Next time ask Dan if he has ever replaced the bearings or the axle rod in a Trooper before, my black one is a wee bit sloppy in the rear but I found that 3/4" bearings fit over the axle rod. (the thing the bolt goes through) I would invite Dan over for some beers and get the bikes running good. :wink:

GTO- you may have hit on something there- we ought to have a Trooper Fix-it Party some Saturday afternoon. I'm happy to host, or whomever has the strongest home shop can host so we want for nothing while trying to get some jobs done!

Either way I'll come and Grill up some grub to keep us strong..

Trail King I have

Hello,

I am new to this forum, but I saw a picture of your trail king. I have one of those but I have not been able to find any info whatsoever on this bike. The one I have is in decent shape but I think it is missing some things and I can't figure it out to get it back in working order. My biggest question I have about this bike that I cannot figure out how the front and back halves of the frame are connected. I know that they are "hinged" in the middle with a long rod, but I cannot figure out how they attach on the underside (I am guessing that they do according to the configuration). When mine is put together the seat frame that is part of the front half of the frame rests on the rear part of the frame. I am guessing that there is some sort of connection underneath that, once again I am guessing, possibly provides some sort of suspension, or allows the bike to fold to allow you to remove the motor. Any info or pics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

homelite trail king

I too just purchased one of these bikes and cannot find any info on them I may however be able to answer your question. The front and back are attached by a long rod but to give it spring there is a leaf spring underneath. the one on mine appears to be cut from a car or truck spring and shortend to a useable leangth. I will try to upload some pictures. I cannot figure out the breaks on mine there dosent seem to be any rear break and the front configuration is unlike anything I have seen before. I do not believe it is original.

cxbra

Those bikes are sexy. I like all minibikes prettymuch (even db30's), but I have a special place for bikes that look like they have been through hell and back. The prestige of maintaining something 40+ years old and riding the snot out of it is priceless. Nice find.

Bullhead and I are trying to set up a winter or early spring trail run in the mountains of Bullhead/Kingman,AZ area. There are thousands of miles of trails and facilities on the trails for a good rest stop. We would like to set up a long weekend run with OldMiniBikes members who have any of the old 'Trail Scooters". It would be a blast to see a line of Tote-Gotes,Pac-Jac's,Trail-Kings,Hilltoppers,etc.
It will be in the 60's during the day, cold at night if we camp out on a mountain summit.

Lets us know if you are interested