There's got to be another way.

Well I have this midly modified briggs flathead.

Shaved eyebrows/cleaned up ports.
Billet Rod
Comp GP9330 cam
Billet lifters
Angled header
tecumseh H50 Carb with super high performance meatgrinder intake.
Arc Billet flywheel with the advanced timing.

It's a neat little package and makes hell of a lotta noise, but trying to get the thing started by hand is a chore. So far the track record goes...

1. Broke two ropes.. guess I'll try my luck with the drill.

2. Drill caught on fire.. garage smelled AWESOME. :no:

3. Okay, lets try some coated steel cable in my pullstart. Nope. Pulley got knocked out of position and froze, snapped a couple holding tabs and probably messed up the spring. I dunno, I hate taking those things apart. :hammer:

4. Screw it, I'll just put a regular recoil on there, afterall I know when to really yank it now....

5. Ended up breaking the handle AND snapping the pulley where it connects to the starter clutch.

She REALLY does not like cold starting at all. and when she shuts off she REALLY kicks back.

The issue I have is that I can't afford to buy a racing starter, and the billet flywheels for electric start are also out of my price range.. an impact gun isn't too bad of a price but if the motor kicks back and breaks that too I might loose my mind.

I was considering building a jig with a 3.5hp briggs to use that as a starter, I think I've heard of someone doing something similar before but I can't remember when or who.

have any of you ever found a way around this? I'd hate to have to sell of my engine only because I couldn't start the friggin thing. :doah: :shrug:

old-timer

Scamming Member
Lol,
Yep that's the problem when you build up these motors like that. Basically you need a gear reduction starter. I had the same problem but was lucky enough to find a good used one on ebay. I tried using a impact wrench, but it wouldn't spin it up enough to fire it.

I'd look around for a used starter :shrug: You wont be sorry . Do you have a local go kart track near you? Sometimes you can find some good deals by just walking around and talking with the guys.

Vic

How much timing advance do you have in it? I know of many flat heads that have similar mods and do not pull start so hard? It sounds like its firing so early that its kicking back and that's what is braking parts. If you haven't milled the head much, I'd say back it off a tad.

old-timer, what kind of starter do you mean? the bolt to the engine kind or the handheld ones? cause my flywheel doesn't have a gear on it, and the ones that do cost like $300 :doah:

and minibikin, the flywheel is made to have 30 degree advanced timing.. it's not adjustable.
ARC Billet Flywheel - Briggs 5HP

also my head is milled a tad overboard.. I took the entire lip off. :doah:

old-timer

Scamming Member
old-timer, what kind of starter do you mean? the bolt to the engine kind or the handheld ones? cause my flywheel doesn't have a gear on it, and the ones that do cost like $300 :doah:

and minibikin, the flywheel is made to have 30 degree advanced timing.. it's not adjustable.
ARC Billet Flywheel - Briggs 5HP

also my head is milled a tad overboard.. I took the entire lip off. :doah:
Yes the hand held type. You just have to buy a starter nut. They usually cost around $12.00

Vic

Drill and tap the head for a compression release. There are valves on eBay starting around 25 bucks, the tap is around 10 bucks or less (10x1.0).