"They" had to take the tag off Tecumseh...

Just looking for an approximate year/decade window on this one, until I can get the head off and measure the bore & stroke.
Saw it nicknamed the flying waffle here, and who doesn't love waffles, amiright? I got these two tecumseh (s) from a guy who said "they came off of industrial warehouse floor sweepers, back when you could safely run engines indoors", LOL I'll post the other ones when I take more pics if you guys want to see them.

IMG_2143.JPG IMG_2142.JPG IMG_2153.JPG IMG_2146.JPG IMG_2144.JPG IMG_2145.JPG

Thanks in advance, m/o

Early 60's. Someone will know the exact year they moved the sparkplug to the left so the shroud didn't need that cutout. 1962 ish I believe.

Last edited:
That's a Flying Waffle alright. A late in the game Lauson design triumph! In fact sales were so high and cash flowing into Tecumseh so fast, there were hushed discussions between the old Lauson guard around the water cooler that had they rushed "The Waffle" out just a few years earlier, they could have bought Tecumseh and then quickly sold them to that dastardly bunch over at Briggs. Everyone wanted to be seen with a Flying Waffle in the early 60's. I'm pretty sure it was the official engine of Roger Maris' homerun record drive in '61. But alas, like Pet Rocks and Debbie Gibson, it wasn't to last...

1959 - 1962. Can be narrowed down with the Tillotson carb number. Either E7A or E8A.