Thinking about getting a mini bike

Hello, I'm deciding with two bikes about which one I should get and want your thoughts and opinions on it. I'm wondering if you could help me determine which one is better. If its relevant, I'm 6 feet tall.

ebay.com/itm/FREE-US-SHIPPING-KIDS-49CC-2-STROKE-GAS-MOTOR-DIRT-MINI-POCKET-BIKE-BLUE-I-DB49A-/371093321504?epid=1431369615&hash=item5666e2b720:g:w-IAAOSwDk5TsaYV

ebay.com/itm/Gas-Pocket-Bike-motorbike-Scooter-40cc-Epa-engine-Motorcycle-kids-Teens-Mini-/361846567019?var=&hash=item543fbc706b:m:mrS7CgWP1SJ13tW7ek8-7ug

In Georgia they classify anything with a motor as a moped and you have to be 15 (I'm 14) and have a permit to operate, but I'm wondering as well if I'd be able to get away with riding it through my neighborhood presuming I'd drive normally.

Thanks for your help, this will be my first mini-bike and I look forward to riding and participating in these forums!

I'm also considering building a custom bike to give me a challenge, but I don't know if it would be cheaper just to buy a pre-made one with a budget of $400.

Last edited:
Welcome. This is a great site. At six feet tall, you'll probably be more comfortable on the dirt bike. Either one will be a cop magnet on the street. I remember going to juvenile court when I was 14 and got caught on the street on my dirt bike.

Welcome to mini bikes :) Your going to love them. For your first bike I would get something you can take off road. You will have more fun and not be limited to just roads and walkways.

So am guessing you cant have a larger motor but... I think the best bang for buck that's $400 is the Coleman CT100 If you look on line and are patient you can find the CT200u for about $400 on amazon some times. I know you want to be able to ride every were but I have one of the 49cc dirt bikes and it is neat but I like the CT200u a lot more. You will quickly out grow the 49cc bike. Its more of a bike I would ride abound a camp ground or at races around the pits but not something I would like to just go take for a cruse like the full size mini. For your first bike I would also recommend getting a complete bike instead of piecing it together. I recommend the CT200u because for being all new its one of the cheapest full size mini's you can get, you will never out grow it, its cheep and easy to work on and dose great off and on road. The 6.5 HP motors are a great introduction to mechanics as there very similar to a regular old school V8 motor except there air cooled. When you do get to the point that you want more power and you will, the 6.5 motors are easy to modify and will make as much power as you want for pretty cheep.

I would recommend you try to find some one who has a 49cc pit bike or try to get to an ATV shop and see if they have one is stock and sit on one before you buy it. For the colemans you can find them at Sportsman Warehouse and Tractor supply. Tractor supply has a better version of the CT200 called the CT200-EX that has a headlight and from suspension but I think it is only available at that store. Trust me although its harder to find a place to ride in a few years you will be much happier you got the larger bike.

Divouneh

Working in a old minibike is a great time, you have the small one (easy to hold alone in the truck or workbench) and bigger one like my Super Bronc where you need to be at least two. I need to remove the handle bar to go through the doors ...
I would prefer an old running one than a cheap " chinesse" pit bike .

Divouneh,

i think the cloeman 200 is a good choice for the money.i have 2 and have had great service.ain,t bad at all for cheap china.

SAS289

You should probably ask around and check out any reviews on those bikes before you buy. Do you have any friends that have experience with mini's? I have no idea how well those run but I would bet that it wouldn't be long before you would unsatisfied with the lack of power. How upgradable are these bikes?

Yeah that mini dirt bike looks tempting at that price with full suspension and disc brakes, but what about quality? And how much run time can you get out of that 2 stoke engine before it will need rings? Parts availability should also be considered.

You mentioned your budget of $400. A few months ago many Walmarts had Coleman CT200's for under $300. As long as you could find one in store. One member got one for $250. They seem like a decent enough adult sized mini bike for the money. The bike and engine are about as easy as it gets when it comes to serviceability. And there are ton's of performance engine parts available. I like servicing the bike just as much as I enjoy riding it. Fun stuff!

Last edited:
Hello, I'm deciding with two bikes about which one I should get and want your thoughts and opinions on it. I'm wondering if you could help me determine which one is better. If its relevant, I'm 6 feet tall.

ebay.com/itm/FREE-US-SHIPPING-KIDS-49CC-2-STROKE-GAS-MOTOR-DIRT-MINI-POCKET-BIKE-BLUE-I-DB49A-/371093321504?epid=1431369615&hash=item5666e2b720:g:w-IAAOSwDk5TsaYV

ebay.com/itm/Gas-Pocket-Bike-motorbike-Scooter-40cc-Epa-engine-Motorcycle-kids-Teens-Mini-/361846567019?var=&hash=item543fbc706b:m:mrS7CgWP1SJ13tW7ek8-7ug

In Georgia they classify anything with a motor as a moped and you have to be 15 (I'm 14) and have a permit to operate, but I'm wondering as well if I'd be able to get away with riding it through my neighborhood presuming I'd drive normally.

Thanks for your help, this will be my first mini-bike and I look forward to riding and participating in these forums!
Based on the fact that you mentioned your age, having a permit to operate and that your state would classify this as a moped, I would assume then that you intend or wish to operate this on the street? I may be reading too much in to this and if that's the case, then by all means disregard what I'm about to say.

A mini bike, at least none of the bikes that we generally discuss on this forum would be considered street legal in Georgia or any other state for that matter. Nor would the bikes you asked about meet the definition of a moped. Mini bikes are very basic utilitarian bikes at best and completely devoid of anything that would meet DOT standards. Eg...headlamps, brake light/tail light, turn indicators, mirrors, proper street tires, etc.... Mopeds have all those elements.

Nobody else has touched on this point so it seems that I may have read something different in your question than everybody else here. But from the way you phrased the question, it sounded like you planned on registering the mini bike with your DMV. Most people who have mini bikes do not register them because they're not legal to operate on a public street/highway. There are some exceptions like in my case, where mine are being registered as we speak with the CA DMV for off road use, for which I must obtain a green tag (license) which allows me to operate them at a state OHV land, trails, beaches, etc. Without that registration, I would be limited to basically riding the bikes on my own property...legally speaking.

So to make a really long story short, I think if it's transportation you're looking for, then searching for a moped or whatever else your permit allows you to operate is the direction you should be searching. If it's just a fun recreational thing you're searching for then I'd recommend you buy a Coleman CT200U. If that's out of your price range, you can pick up the little brother, the CT100U for around $300. I bought 2 recently for my kids through Walmart. I weigh 170 lbs and the little CT100U can really scoot even with me on it.

Good luck with everything and let us know how it all turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just went back and reread your question again to see if I missed something or misunderstood the question. If you take a poll, most people here will tell you we use our minibikes in our neighborhoods for the most part. Where I live it's rural, so there's some land I can ride on. The simple truth is...buying the minibike is the easy part. Finding a place to legally ride them is another matter altogether. Plenty of videos on YouTube show people getting stopped by the Police for riding them on the street. My basic rule is don't piss off the neighbors and respect their property. My neighbors are cool and always give a wave or thumbs up when they see my kids or me out riding in the neighborhood. I also don't take mine on to public roads. Use common sense and discretion and you should be just fine.

I ride on a couple of dirt roads and 90% pavement on a ct200u geared for street.it's ride to brutal to be an offroader for me..is a good large bike cheap off of Craigslist.. or a db30 is cheap basic small bike if that's your style.....I'm buying a minibike with suspension later this year..it will give more riding options..more dirt and lawn..i go completely around my house..on an acre..my wife usually not home then hehe..i thought about getting a small street legal bike,but it doesnt make sense $$wise..i really take short blasts around local and like a few of these to tinker with.i even push all of them up the hill wipe em down.and stand around and drink beer remembering riding them.....works for me :laugh:

Last edited:
If I were buying a minibike for myself, I'd have to go with a Coleman CT200U. The value for the money for a brand new bike with a factory warranty is unbeatable. If I wanted a bike with suspension, I'd probably go with Monster Moto's new MM-B212. Looks like a Baja Warrior or CT200EX