tight engine?

Putting the finishing touches on my 84 puddle jumper build (see project post) and have the 5.5 clone ready to go. It occured to me that the thing is tight. Maybe not in a good way. I went to pull the cord and it was really hard. It turned over but, a little tougher than I thought it should be. New engine, never been started. crank case not full of oil. I might be just biased because I'm used to pulling the cord on the old 4 hp tec that is a million years old. (loss of compression?) any thoughts? Thanks in advance. Just dont want to be bummed out when i go to start it.

as much as I love to get new tight things:thumbsup::smile:sounds shady, when I got my clone I noticed it was pre oiled a little bit, mayby just a touch while assembled. but I could turn on the shaft before oiled at all, pretty easy until it compressed,

Is it a pain in the ass to turn all the time??

well I would say start it. If it seizes or wont work take it back. if you can.

Take out the spark plug. If its still hard to turn there is probably something wrong.
Ok, I'll try that. it did come Pre oiled, just a coating really. I did have the cover off to replace the bolts to grade 8. the engine turns over while being pulled but not very easy. I'll let you know, thanks.

I did have the cover off to replace the bolts to grade 8. the engine turns over while being pulled but not very easy. I'll let you know, thanks.
Maybe that could be the problem, double check the problem. I wouldn't run it if you can't pull it normally. :eek:ut:

All set. runs great. no problems at all. I ran it for an hour or so then changed the oil. How dirty should it be? and how much oil should be in it? lastly, what kind or oil and grade are you guys using? thanks so much, Denis (pics soon)

Glad it's working. :thumbsup: The break in oil shouldn't be too dirty but will have small metal particles in it so it's good to change . Just fill the oil until it comes up close to the filler plug. I like to use 30 weight but if its cold in your area in the winter go lighter.